Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female gaming journalists...in it to become actresses?

Options
  • 13-09-2013 9:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting observation here by Chobot, a clear dig at Olivia Munn and sundry other "gamer girls"/presenters.

What is your take on it?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

What is your take on it?

What's yours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

F1ngers wrote: »
    What's yours?

Well she is in the industry, is a female, made the comment....so there must be some truth, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

A lot of actors gig in presenting, some end up stuck in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

She (Chobot) also starred in ME3, so her opinion is already biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Didn`t Chobot appear in ME3, haven`t a notion of watching the vid tbh.

DGN confirmed it another annoying bit of opinionated gaming journalism the world didn`t need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

She did yeah, she was the alliance war correspondent attached (if you chose to) to the Normandy.

If you cant stand her, i'd suggest you not to watch the video, it's bollocks anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,929 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Depends on the person really. There's plenty of clowns in the industry that don't know jack **** about what they are talking about and only in it as spoofers or trying to further their journalistic careers, see the 'journalists' from IGN or Gametrailers. These are both male and female.

However there's genuine female games journalists as well. Kat Bailey for instance. Nobody in the industry knows RPG games better than she does. She's not in it to be an actress, she's in it because she's a total geek and I love her for it:

There are and have been plenty of excellent female journalists so she is right it's unfair to paint them all with the same brush. People like Ellie Gibson from Eurogamer and former 1up'er Jenn Frank.

Fair play to Chobot though. It's unfortunate that people aren't giving her the respect she deserves. No matter what she did before she's done far more than all those internet morons trolling her in comments. As someone getting into game development having a game I worked on published by my favourite publisher Atlus would be my dream come true and it's something she has managed to achieve. Fair play to her.

On another note, Polygon have been doing some fantastic journalism lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Haven't looked at the video and probably won't because this is real murky territory and probably has a lot of generalisations (not to mention Polygon produced) but isn't Chobot herself purely in the industry for "entertainment" purposes? She never brings very much information or specifics when featured on gametrailers or anything else like that and doesn't seem to actually play games very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

One line in a 12 minute interview, and that's what you base an entire thread on?

Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Audrey Drake went from covering Nintendo for IGN to working for Nintendo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Well she is in the industry, is a female, made the comment....so there must be some truth, no?

So, that's your take on it?

I asked for your take on it, not what she said.

F1ngers wrote: »
    So, that's your take on it?

I asked for your take on it, not what she said.

Olivia Munn.....seems to be true.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    One line in a 12 minute interview, and that's what you base an entire thread on?

Bah.

Was the most interesting part, rather controversial if the media pick up on it.

One person's opinion can hardly be taken as fact. Just because one, maybe two female gaming journalists moved on to act does not mean that all of them are in it simply to be the next Nicole Kidman. It's such an utterly ridiculous statement for anyone to come out with and I imagine that anyone who believes that it's the truth is the kind of person who thinks that the Sun newspaper is a bastion of journalist integrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I wasn't impressed with the fact Chobot got into ME3, at all. It was tacky and fan pleasing. Would I have gone for it was I in her position? Absolutely. In this case, voice actress more or less equals model actress.

Am I wary of attractrive females who seem to be nerds, sure. Not just online, in real life too. Wary doesn't equate to being-a-****-to though. Everyone desrves a chance, and until they prove themselves to be bollockses, then more power to them.

What has this to do with the topic you ask? I get the impression that the OP isn't quite just to do with pundits coming to be actresses. Female, that is.

Was the most interesting part, rather controversial if the media pick up on it.

How is it controversial and why would anyone in the media think it worthy of reporting on. It's a nonstory based on a throwaway line by a woman who has used her position in the industry to try and launch an acting career so it's not like she's the most impartial of observers and it may very well be that she's simply envious of Munn whose gone on to big things while our commentator hasn't a thousandth of the Munn's profile.

I wonder if you can now say that female game journalists are only in it to bevome game writers. Though that said she may not have long in the industry as I've been reading about the commentators own game and could it be any more cliched and uninspired. It's pretty much every low budget slasher set up in history and has been the basis for a number of great titles recently which her game simply seems to be rehashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

tv presenters dont have to be experts in what they are presenting, they just have to be able to act natural while reading from a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People like Ellie Gibson from Eurogamer......

I would love to hear Ellie's response if people accused her of being in it to become an actress!

Ellie is great because shes not afraid to admit shes not a massive geek with a huge knowledge of gaming and all encompassing love for it. She pokes fun at the ridiculousness of whole industry with a wicked sense of sarcastic humour. She would be doing the same thing no matter what area of journalism she was in Id imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

There have to be easier ways to get into acting than games journalism. Though I suppose if you can weather the ignorance and misogyny of the noisy part of the general gamer population, you can handle anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Surprised Ashly Burch didn't get a mention here anyway ..... reading this thread is 5 minutes of my life I won't get back. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement