Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separation: when can I leave family home

Options
  • 13-09-2013 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I need advice, myself and my wife are currently separation but she has decided not to cooperate. I have been advised by solicitor to put together an Affadavit of Means and to sit with her and go through all the household expenses so we can decide on a financial arrangement. She is refusing to do this and is now saying it is up to her when I leave the house. Is it true that if I leave the house without an agreement in place I give up all rights to the property? She now sees this as a way of keeping me in the house and making life hard! Is there away I can leave without this happening...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I wouldn't leave until something's sorted out. And NO! It's not up to your wife when you leave. Speak to your solicitor again, telling him your wife is not co-operating (why?).

Are there children involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

If you are the joint owner of the property then you are still the joint owner whether you live there or not. I'm currently living out of the family home (with my kids) but no matter how long I'm out I still own half the house. I'm also still liable for the mortgage repayments too. Speak to you solicitor again. Think about mediation. It's much easier to sort something out with a 3rd party rather than trying to do it yourself. I know myself and my ex DH would never come to an agreement between the two of us on our own.

Advertisement