Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game pad for pc

Options
  • 13-09-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭

Guys, in your opinion, which gamepad would be the best for pc gaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

xbox controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Xbox wired 360 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

PS3 controller works nicely too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Xbox 360 Wired controller

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Or, if you've already got a wireless 360 controller, get the dongle.

The drivers for the PS3 controller are a bit dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Or, if you've already got a wireless 360 controller, get the dongle.

The drivers for the PS3 controller are a bit dodgy.

I love my ps3, but ps3 controller is ass. I don't know why would anyone would use it to play on pc.
    I got my 360 wired controller and it works perfect. Most developers have 360 controller as default on pc games. All you need to do is just plug in the bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah I tried to get my PS3 controller working on my pc with software but no joy so just bought an 360 controller off Amazon for about €20 and it works great
    the only thing I find weird as a user of Playstation since the PS1 is the position of the dpad, but you get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Xbox pad is the only way to go. It's def the most comfortable game pad out there. You can use xpadder too if the game does t support it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If you're getting a next gen console, apparently both controllers will work natively with the PC, if you can hold off.

If not then it's a wired 360 controller, end of story. Works natively with absolutely anything I've come across so far where as the PS3 controller needs extra (3rd party) software, needs to be configured, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Definatly the 360 controller, ps3 was dodgy on the pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I'm not a fan of the Xbox controller and much prefer the PS3 but the drivers are a bit dodgy on the PC so went for the Logitech F710 which I'm really enjoying. The 510 is the slightly cheaper wired version which I'm sure is quite good as well.

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/f710-wireless-gamepad

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

+ 1 xbox controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/W009.html
    I use this with my wii u pro pad.

Was using an xbox one but I lost the cable for my charger and saw this on another website.
    Games pick it up like an xbox controller, but it also has a switch on it to use it with stuff like joy2key etc.
    The ABXY configuration is different though, can be confusing in a game like the walking dead for example, because A isn't where A is on the controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Well if you already had a PS3 controller, give it a go at least. Otherwise, 360 tends to be better as many games come with pre-configured 360 controls which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭psugrue

im using the ps3 controller myself, software has always worked grand for me. just use MotioninJoy and hook up your ps3 controller to it and click "Emulate XBOX 360 controller" and thats it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whatever you do do not use MotionInJoy. It's chinese spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey, is buyiing the wireless controller the same as buying the wired but it just means you can play with it wirelessly if you have the batteries and then if not, just plug the lead in and play wired or is there some other difference?

Wired:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-360-Wired-Gamepad/dp/B003VD56KW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1379265199&sr=8-7&keywords=xbox+360+controller

Wireless:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller/dp/B003VD56KC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379265199&sr=8-2&keywords=xbox+360+controller

both the "newer d pad" which I only found out about from reading the reviews, but the wireless being only a euro dearer would be better to go for, unless of course it can't be plugged in.

Also, how does it work when you want to connect 4 controllers to a laptop which might only have 3 usb ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

cormie wrote: »
    Hey, is buyiing the wireless controller the same as buying the wired but it just means you can play with it wirelessly if you have the batteries and then if not, just plug the lead in and play wired or is there some other difference?

Wired:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-360-Wired-Gamepad/dp/B003VD56KW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1379265199&sr=8-7&keywords=xbox+360+controller

Wireless:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller/dp/B003VD56KC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379265199&sr=8-2&keywords=xbox+360+controller

both the "newer d pad" which I only found out about from reading the reviews, but the wireless being only a euro dearer would be better to go for, unless of course it can't be plugged in.

Also, how does it work when you want to connect 4 controllers to a laptop which might only have 3 usb ports?

You require the Wireless Gaming Receiver in order to use wireless Xbox controllers on PC.

I mentioned the following in another thread, but it applies here, so... copy/paste:

Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows & Wireless Gaming Receiver combo: [Link]

Price has been as low as £25stg with free 'Super Saver' delivery.

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0

Seem a good price for both items when there are claims, on amazon, that the standalone (Microsoft branded) receivers are actually 3rd-party knock offs. [Link]

When my wireless gaming receiver (the dongle) stopped working I was tempted to buy another. I ended up getting a wired controller (even though I have a bunch of wireless 360 pads) as I've heard the receiver's fuse has a propensity towards blowing. The fuse itself is tiny and difficult to replace (some people simply bypass the fuse to get the dongle working).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a 360 in storage (RROD). I assume the controller is P&P?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I use my wired 360 pad for gaming on the laptop too.

And yup, plug in and play, it's that simple, for most games at least.

• Advertisement

Fnz wrote: »
    You require the Wireless Gaming Receiver in order to use wireless Xbox controllers on PC.

I mentioned the following in another thread, but it applies here, so... copy/paste:

Official Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows & Wireless Gaming Receiver combo: [Link]

Price has been as low as £25stg with free 'Super Saver' delivery.

amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0

Seem a good price for both items when there are claims, on amazon, that the standalone (Microsoft branded) receivers are actually 3rd-party knock offs. [Link]

When my wireless gaming receiver (the dongle) stopped working I was tempted to buy another. I ended up getting a wired controller (even though I have a bunch of wireless 360 pads) as I've heard the receiver's fuse has a propensity towards blowing. The fuse itself is tiny and difficult to replace (some people simply bypass the fuse to get the dongle working).

Sorry, in bed sick at the moment so a bit slow, so the xbox wireless one that I linked to won't work on the pc and the pc one may not actually be official microsoft? What happens if the battery dies, can you just plug it in so it's wired and it works as flawlessly as a regular wired? It might just be better off to get the official wired one if there won't be any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sorry, in bed sick at the moment so a bit slow, so the xbox wireless one that I linked to won't work on the pc and the pc one may not actually be official microsoft? What happens if the battery dies, can you just plug it in so it's wired and it works as flawlessly as a regular wired? It might just be better off to get the official wired one if there won't be any issues.

You can't connect the wireless controller with a wire. Plugging it in to charge it won't make it wired.

Ah, thanks for that, I thought I saw my friend do it on his Xbox one time so thought it would be the same. Probably best just to go for the wired one so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Ah, thanks for that, I thought I saw my friend do it on his Xbox one time so thought it would be the same. Probably best just to go for the wired one so :)

It doesn't work like you might think even on the Xbox. The wireless controller always works wirelessly even if you have it connected to the Xbox or PC by a cable, the cable is just a power cable and does nothing else.

Ah ok, so it just powers it instead of wiring it and depending on batteries controller end.

I currently use ps2 pads connected to the laptop and have always found them more comfortable than xbox, especially for the likes of street fighter using the dpad, maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it though?

Advertisement