Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voluntary work

Options
  • 13-09-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

voluntary work is good for u but why i feel when i go they treat me different then there workers they look at that i am after some thing any idea why is like that

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

I have no idea what you are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sajid.ahmed

Rory1 wrote: »
    I have no idea what you are staying.

i mean i am doing voluntary work for one charity it runs carer home for people with disabilities so i go there twice in week for few hours and do what i can cleaning guarding etc but the people work there paid work they look at me very strangely i helping them they think i need some kind of help i am after some thing i did try to ask them that if u can do i dont need to come here answer was oh no we love to have u here &when i went hom got call can i do this next week this is my 1st time voluntary work in my life is this normal way i dont know i think it weird so i am asking help may be i am wrong hope it will help

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Some people in paid work obviously may see it as a concern for their own jobs that other people are willing to do the work for free... Maybe...

i mean i am doing voluntary work for one charity it runs carer home for people with disabilities so i go there twice in week for few hours and do what i can cleaning guarding etc but the people work there paid work they look at me very strangely i helping them they think i need some kind of help i am after some thing i did try to ask them that if u can do i dont need to come here answer was oh no we love to have u here &when i went hom got call can i do this next week this is my 1st time voluntary work in my life is this normal way i dont know i think it weird so i am asking help may be i am wrong hope it will help

Did you ever hear of a full stop?

Rory1 wrote: »
    Did you ever hear of a full stop?

what u mean by full stop please advice

• Advertisement

what u mean by full stop please advice

It's the same with participants on FAS Community Employment schemes. Are they taking the jobs of others? If these support groups are so important, why not give the most suitable participants a full time job?
    To answer OP's original question - With so many unemployed, any threat, (or a perceived threat) to existing jobs is viewed with suspicion. Maybe, you could cut back your contribution to an hour twice a week. That would satisfy your need to feel useful and lessen any perceived threat to the workers. Maybe you could take a less hands on activity, like fundraising, etc.

It's the same with participants on FAS Community Employment schemes. Are they taking the jobs of others? If these support groups are so important, why not give the most suitable participants a full time job?
    To answer OP's original question - With so many unemployed, any threat, (or a perceived threat) to existing jobs is viewed with suspicion. Maybe, you could cut back your contribution to an hour twice a week. That would satisfy your need to feel useful and lessen any perceived threat to the workers. Maybe you could take a less hands on activity, like fundraising, etc.

thanks i appreciate that i think its good idea i even told them that i have full time job i just come to hep u not to take over your jobs i was thinking that to cut down hours then we see how it goes thanks again

Advertisement