Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the debate thread

Options
  • 13-09-2013 9:37am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭

is creating a timelapse photography?
    i don't mean to rain on zillah's parade - as i'm talking about definitions, not making a judgement on the work above - but since the product is not a photograph, i'm just wondering if it belongs in the photography forum?
    mod, please feel free to split out into a different thread if this comes across as antagonistic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

is it not photography if you are taking thousands of photographs to compile as a timelapse?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's the input, but the output is not a photograph, it's a video.
    video itself (by the way video and any motion-capture camera works) is a series of thousands of photograph strung together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

EDIT: Posted before reading Zillahs post asking the thread not to become a debating thread.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as i mentioned, might be worth pulling the 'debate' aspects to a separate thread.

because it's not fair to derail every thread with debating, so do it here.

photoshopping images

timelapses not belonging in this forum

be as pedantic as you like.....

:D

i may move some posts into this thread, which may cause this to become the last post in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think it's an absolute travesty Joe. Only last week I was buying fifty cans of soup in Lidl and a timelapse thread cut in infront of me buying nothing but cheap whiskey. I'm not a racist but these timelapse threads should all go back where they belong.

EDIT:
    My actual response:
    Zillah wrote:
    The shooting of it - camera, lenses, tripod, exposure, filters, shutter speed, white balance etc - are all very much photography, and would definitely require a photographer's skillset. The post, too, is largely the same. I process one photo the way I would a normal photo, and then apply the same settings to them all.

cameras, lenses, tripod, etc., are also all parameters important in videography or cinematography too.

i'd argue that timelapse is a specific subset of videography.
    as i mentioned, i'm not making a judgement call on the value of the output, it's just that i don't accept it's photography if the end result is not a photograph.

please, define for all of us, what you consider to be a photograph, so we all can learn and only post photographs to this forum.

easier to define what a photograph *isn't*, in this context; and i certainly wouldn't consider a video to be a photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

When you're shooting video you press "Record" and it creates a video file. When doing timelapse of this sort you take a series of photographs with a still camera that does not record video or audio, but creates a batch of still images.

Honestly I have no idea why this is even an issue for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Zillah wrote: »
    When you're shooting video you press "Record" and it creates a video file. When doing timelapse of this sort you take a series of photographs with a still camera that does not record video or audio, but creates a batch of still images.

Well, in fairness, in no way shape or form could you call a timelapse a 'photograph'. On the other hand, whether the process of making a timelapse is 'photography' is another question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have a solution - the pause button.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Shot at:

Under 3fps - photo forum
    4-10 fps banned
    11-15fps - grey area. dedicated forum
    16fps - taking the piss. banned. poster also banned.
    17-22fps - grey area. dedicated forum
    23fps and over - video

Agreed?

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Shot at:

Under 3fps - photo forum
    4-10 fps banned
    Tripdych - good
    Quadradych - bad.

i was just curious as to why timelapses found their home in the photography forum rather than the video forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

OldGoat wrote: »
    Qadradych - bad.

Congratulations OldGoat, you've managed to spell a word so uniquely badly that no-one within the purview of google has ever spelt one like it before.
    Google wrote:
    Your search - Qadradych - did not match any documents

Congratulations OldGoat, you've managed to spell a word so uniquely badly that no-one within the purview of google has ever spelt one like it before.
    It's a gift I use frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The only major difference between video and photo is that you have to remember not to move on after pressing the record button on the film camera. The amount of times I've taken film off the camcorder only to see me treat every shot like a picture only resting for 2-3 seconds at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think it's an absolute travesty Joe. Only last week I was buying fifty cans of soup in Lidl and a timelapse thread cut in infront of me buying nothing but cheap whiskey. I'm not a racist but these timelapse threads should all go back where they belong.

As awesome and superior as your Joe rhetoric makes you, it's not exactly very communicative.....

#justsayin' :P
    time-lapse photography
    noun
    the photographing on motion-picture film of a slow and continuous process, as the growth of a plant, at regular intervals, especially by exposing a single frame at a time, for projection at a higher speed.
    source: dictionary.com
    There you have it. It is photographing so it must be photgraphy but ONLY if you photograph onto motion-picture film it would appear. Personally, I haven't yet figured how to get the film into the dSLR except in that spot behind the lens, but the results are less than lucid.

<some humour intended>

When doing timelapse of this sort you take a series of photographs with a still camera that does not record video or audio, but creates a batch of still images.
    just getting back to this point - this is exactly what video is, a sequence of still images played in rapid succession (i.e. 25fps or thereabouts). it's how video cameras work, except they take one shot every 1/25th of a sec, and generally replay at the same rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

when I was a kid I use to draw a stickman in the corner of the pages of my books and by flipping them I could see him jump, run, play football or whatever.
    I was never accepted in the drawing classes because I was doing animation.
    The animation class never accepted me because I was just drawing on pages.

you had an animation class?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

you had an animation class?

Private school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

One could define a timelapse as a very fast slideshow.

Is a slideshow ok to put on here?

:D (runs & hides)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You have to understand photography very well to be a cinematographer.

However, cinematography is not photography. Photography has become a medium of moments. Photography is capturing a moment - cinematography is rolling, while all the settings are perfect, to allow a period of time to be captured perfectly.

Advertisement