Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Launched - What do you guys think?

Options
  • 13-09-2013 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've just launched my website, www.webtemplates.ie.

If anyone has any commments or advice please let me know!

Thanks,
    Phil

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭lewishamilton

you can get nearly the same from weebly for free

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

Nice website. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Web Templates IE

Thanks for the comments guys. Would love to hear opinions on images etc and where I can improve on the design itself etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 uglybunz

If you're serious about providing web templates then you need to do something about your HTML coding, as a potential client throwing your site at a checker like W3C Validator will run a mile. You might think that there are only 3 errors, but it's worse, the last error is "Cannot recover after last error (no. 2). Any further errors will be ignored".

You may also want to do something about the accessibility of your site, another problem area... you could use the WebAIM WAVE tool to work it out. It's not as bad as the HTML.

You don't seem to have paid any attention to the SEO of your own site, which doesn't look good... not an SEO-related meta-tag in sight. Your site scores 28% on http://www.seositecheckup.com - you need to do a lot better than this if you want to be found in an already crowded marketplace. The appearance of your site means nothing if no-one gets to find it.

You're using Google Analytics, which places 3rd-party cookies in visitors' browsers, but you don't have any EU cookie law mandated warning message.

When I click on any of the template demos, a new full-screen browser window opens with the demo. I'm using a 30" monitor, so this looks silly as the template is a strip down the middle of a sea of white. But then this is not the demo and I have to click again to open the actual demo, which opens in a new tab in my original browser window. By the time I've looked at a few demos and clicked through to the actual demos, I have a whole load of windows and tabs. You need to re-use the windows/tabs rather than opening up new ones each time. You will lose visitors very quickly if you mess up their desktop!

If you're presenting yourself as an expert in web development then you should address all of the issues above.

Finally, using the hostname that I could see in the demo windows, I was able to find a web site that offers quite a few free templates for download. This is probably not your intention? If you're reselling then you should try to mask your source, unless there is some good reason for revealing it.

Good luck with the site,
    uglybunz

Advertisement