Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

national irish bank/Danske bank

Options
  • 12-09-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Hi. I just looking for info on banking with the named bank.

Ive been offered a job in denmark and im wondering if i open an account with nib/danske bank could i use it as a danish account when i arrive over there??
    I currently bank with aib here in ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not quite:

You can use it: but taking out cash at ATM's and using your debit card will cost you. As Denmark doesn't use Euro, you're going to be hit by currency exchange rates and fees each time.

In Feburary, the Single European Payments Area comes into effect and you could use it for direct debits etc in the same way as a domestic Danish account. Again, however, you'll end up being charged.

You would be better off setting up an DKK account when you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

Is it possible to set up a danish account before i arrive??

My main problem is i will be in shared accomadation so wont have proof of my danish address.

I have no idea. You could try contacting what would be your local branch there, and ask them. Of course, you could temporarily use your Irish account until you have the requisite proof and abosrb the fees.

Cheers
    Ill have to contact my employer and ask about payment via my irish account

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Cheers
    Ill have to contact my employer and ask about payment via my irish account
    They are almost certainly not going to pay it into a foreign account (pre-SEPA) but the HR department will probably be used to this scenario and can help getting you up and running with a Danish bank account asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Danske might allow you to open an account in Denmark if you are an existing client. They allow it in Northern Ireland if you have an account in the Republic.

You can also transfer between Danske accounts free of charge with immediate delivery. If you wanted to transfer money from your Danish Krone account to the Euro one it would be done within five minutes and free of currency conversion fees as all transfers within the Danske group are free.

Indeed. That's useful to know: I thought it was only to NI, but that must have changed. It's been a while since I banked with them

http://www.danskebank.ie/en-ie/personal/day-to-day/payments/foreign-payments/account-transfer-own-account/pages/account-transfer-own-account.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Danske have practically disappeared over night here. Their branches are pretty much all gone. They arent in the media any more particularly regarding discussions on mortgage appears. Apparently they are slowly leaving Ireland.

OP try a bank that actually has branches. I find AIB brilliant. They arent the cheapest, but their internet bank is modern( unlike BOI) and have branches pretty much all over the city.

..and if any of that was relevant to the OP's question about a bank account that might useful for his upcoming day to day life in Denmark, that's would be great. AIB, however, is not going to be much use there :)

dublin daz wrote: »
    Danske might allow you to open an account in Denmark if you are an existing client. They allow it in Northern Ireland if you have an account in the Republic.

You can also transfer between Danske accounts free of charge with immediate delivery. If you wanted to transfer money from your Danish Krone account to the Euro one it would be done within five minutes and free of currency conversion fees as all transfers within the Danske group are free.

thanks for the advice, ill ring them in the morning and have a chat with them and take it from there

ill let you know how i get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Got a letter recently from Danske re replacing Laser/Maestro with Mastercard Debit Card in November. The effect of this will be to increase the commission charge when withdrawing cash in non-Euro land (or making purchases) from 2.5% to 3.5% with a minimum of €3.17 (?) - just another mechanism to get more money out of us..

Advertisement