Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amnesia games

Options
  • 12-09-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Should I play The Dark Decent before A Machine for Pigs, is it needed? Or can I play A Machine for Pigs first without anything being ruined/spoiled etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

xK Marcus wrote: »
    Should I play The Dark Decent before A Machine for Pigs, is it needed? Or can I play A Machine for Pigs first without anything being ruined/spoiled etc.

Haven't played Machine for Pigs yet myself, but from what I understand it is set in a different time with a completely new set of characters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

marco_polo wrote: »
    Haven't played Machine for Pigs yet myself, but from what I understand it is set in a different time with a completely new set of characters.

It's completely separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I forget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

There's a few callbacks to The Dark Descent:
    the 'Brennenberg Infusion', Mandus discovering the creatures Alexander made and copying the process, the Brennenberg coat of arms as well as references to a Mithraic orb.
    However they're all tangential and you're not really missing anything, though you might appreciate some things better having played TDD. For the most part they're separate games only very loosely connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I finished a machine for pigs last week. It's not as scary as the first one - actually not particularly scary at all and they removed the whole sanity mechanic. It's missing a lot of the atmosphere of the first game too. It's also not very well optimised and suffers from bad frame rate at times.

But the story is a little disturbing in places and doesn't fall apart as much towards the end like the first game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I bought the Dark Descent Ages ago in a steam sale. Haven't worked up the balls to actually play it yet though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

MadYaker wrote: »
    I bought the Dark Descent Ages ago in a steam sale. Haven't worked up the balls to actually play it yet though.
    Late at night, lights off and headphones on...it's the only way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I never played the first, and started playing A machine for pigs a few weeks back. I just gave up on it tbh ... it's boring. IMO of course. There's too little interaction with the house at the beginning, you're basically running to one room, searching for ages before finding a clue - having to run to that room you were in an hour back, rinse, repeat ... It could be so much better. PLus I thought the kids were more annoying and whiney rather than spooky or scary .

Advertisement