Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

CAD SOLIDWORKS

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭ Hedgecutter


    Looking to do CAD solid work course in the munster area. I'm doing a course already on Tuesday and Thursday night. Anyone know of some where.

    Would online course be a option


Comments



  • Hi Hedgecutter - do you have Solidworks installed? - if so the tutorials in the help menu are an excellent start - its how I learnt - since Solidworks 2004!




  • Simonomis wrote: »
    Hi Hedgecutter - do you have Solidworks installed? - if so the tutorials in the help menu are an excellent start - its how I learnt - since Solidworks 2004!

    No. Is it expensive to buy?




  • Yes. Costs ~4000.




  • Can you get your hands on a students version? I think it's free if you're eligible.




  • RPM7 wrote: »
    Can you get your hands on a students version? I think it's free if you're eligible.

    How do you qualify for student version.


  • Advertisement


  • Short answer, if you're a student.

    Best bet would be to ring up Solid Solutions or ask at the course you're doing for more info, if you're unemployed you may be able to get a student version too.




  • im wondering if I should do CAM first or would it make a difference. I started a job recently and im operating a CNC lathe.

    Is there a big difference between CAD and CAM ?




  • Hi Hedgecutter, having experience in CAM might be useful as you're currently operating a CNC lathe and it might go down well with your boss; however, you may be limited to that role.
    Does your company use CAM software or are the programs written on the lathe itself? If you trained yourself on software that your boss doesn't use, there's no guarantee that they'll invest in it.

    If you ever wanted to get into design and become a draftsperson, then a cad program like solidworks might be more beneficial.

    This is just my opinion. I worked in fabrication and we had a number of CNC machines but the CAM software was very specific and quite easy to master.




  • RPM7 wrote: »
    Hi Hedgecutter, having experience in CAM might be useful as you're currently operating a CNC lathe and it might go down well with your boss; however, you may be limited to that role.
    Does your company use CAM software or are the programs written on the lathe itself? If you trained yourself on software that your boss doesn't use, there's no guarantee that they'll invest in it.

    If you ever wanted to get into design and become a draftsperson, then a cad program like solidworks might be more beneficial.

    This is just my opinion. I worked in fabrication and we had a number of CNC machines but the CAM software was very specific and quite easy to master.

    As far as I know they use alpha cam. I'm going to do CAD by evening in September and try and pick up CAM at work. If I got my hands on the soft ware I'd be sorted.


Advertisement