Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] 4 students looking for house/share in Dublin City

Options
  • 12-09-2013 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

We're a group of 4 2nd-year students (3 Trinity, 1 DCU) and we're starting to get a little worried that we're not going to have anywhere to live this year. We're looking for a 4-bedroom house on northside, ideally within walking distance of Trinity, but we wouldn't mind somewhere on the southside, nor somewhere where we'd have to commute. We'd also consider joining someone else/a group for a house share. Ideally we'd have a bedroom each, paying 400-450 per month each (1600-1800 euro total).

We're sick of ads saying 'No Students' - Students need somewhere to live too! Even just some tips on how to find somewhere to live would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rhythm1234

JJ. wrote: »
    We're a group of 4 2nd-year students (3 Trinity, 1 DCU) and we're starting to get a little worried that we're not going to have anywhere to live this year. We're looking for a 4-bedroom house on northside, ideally within walking distance of Trinity, but we wouldn't mind somewhere on the southside, nor somewhere where we'd have to commute. We'd also consider joining someone else/a group for a house share. Ideally we'd have a bedroom each, paying 400-450 per month each (1600-1800 euro total).

We're sick of ads saying 'No Students' - Students need somewhere to live too! Even just some tips on how to find somewhere to live would be appreciated.

well i would be intrested if you need another person ! Its a diaster the way everyone only wants proffesionals ! im just startin in dit but if you need an extra roomate just let me know ! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

JJ. wrote: »

There are perfect reasons why landlords don't want to rent to "our brightest and best". And it is not only Ireland. Ask the letting agencies around Sydney and Melbourne what they think of Irish students.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JJ.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    There are perfect reasons why landlords don't want to rent to "our brightest and best". And it is not only Ireland. Ask the letting agencies around Sydney and Melbourne what they think of Irish students.

Hmm. Maybe. It's just that in the UK we have a huge student housing market. Just like in Ireland, there's big demand for accommodation for students, but that demand is actually met with supply. In uni towns there's rows of roads lined with houses rented almost exclusively to students, and there are agencies that cater specifically for students too. Obviously I knew the housing market would be very different in Ireland, especially at the moment, but I never dreamt it would this difficult to find somewhere to live. Obviously I'm not a landlord, and I'm sure there are some terrible student tenants out there, but it seems harsh to paint all students with the same brush and put on an ad that they need not apply. They've got to live somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement