Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag versus Full contact

Options
  • 12-09-2013 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey there,

ive been playing tag rugby for the last four years. I ended up being the best female player and people were telling me i should do full contact.
    Now i love sports and love tag but im afraid that i wont be able for full contact and training starts soon in my college

ADVICE ?! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Give it a go would be my advice. You'll more than likely be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Give it a lash sure, if you don't enjoy it just stick with the tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Give it a go. I got through my first full contact session last night and while I was pretty crap at it I wasn't killed or seriously hurt and I want to go back for more.....

If it's not your thing then it isn't, but at least you can say you gave it a shot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You'll be grand. You don't need to be particularly strong or tough for contact rugby, technique is by far the most important thing to learn. It's way more enjoyable too, IME.
    I think all but one of my injuries were from running or being stood on, which is just as likely to happen in tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Try it. You have nothing to lose. If you don't like it you can always just stick with tag, but you won't regret giving it a go :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

the start of College term is always a great place to start any sport as there are generally a lot of beginners trying something for the first time. So there will be a lot of people there in the same boat as yourself.

So go along give one of 2 of the training sessions a go and see how you like it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,254 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you only have to know three simple words... knee, hip shoulder ;)

you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In all honesty, genuine injuries in rugby are very rare. I've personally seen less than 10 serious injuries in my 25 years and that's out of thousands of games and sessions of rugby I've taken part in as a player, coach, refereee and general dogsbody for my club. And of those maybe half of them came from players being careless or reckless. The most common issues you will come across are a few bruises, bumps or pulled muscles; these are common to all sports.

I'd definitely give it a go if I was you. If you want, PM me and I can bring you up to my club and we can introduce you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Go to a training session and see how you get on. At the very low level I played, injuries were rare and bad injuries even rarer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I played one season of tag and joined a club and ive never looked back. Theres a place for everyone on a rugby team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Say goodbye to your toenails though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Say goodbye to your toenails though :D

I was wondering why my big toenail was leaving this world. Common is it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

As said above ... Knee hip and shoulder.
    And tackle cheek to cheek ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

In all honesty, genuine injuries in rugby are very rare. I've personally seen less than 10 serious injuries in my 25 years and that's out of thousands of games and sessions of rugby I've taken part in as a player, coach, refereee and general dogsbody for my club. And of those maybe half of them came from players being careless or reckless. The most common issues you will come across are a few bruises, bumps or pulled muscles; these are common to all sports.

I'd definitely give it a go if I was you. If you want, PM me and I can bring you up to my club and we can introduce you.

Your mileage may vary. In 18 months of rugby I've seen 3 broken legs at close quarters, multiple knee injuries & had a few stitches myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I find tag in comparison to contact rugby is boring, saying that its a great way to get involved in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jenly3

Thanks for the advice everyone . i actually went to training and it was amazing . they were really kind as i was the only "new" person there but they took everything slow so i could pick up the rules and i loved i

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Who where you training with , if you don't mind me asking

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i find tag get more injuries, the amount of dislocated fingers is ridiculous

Advertisement