Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let something fly around house?

Options
  • 12-09-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I've been doing some electronics before, then dropped, now that I am studying AI, motions, camera recognition of objects etc.. and I know decent amount of programming in different languages, I was thinking of building a drone-like bot. I was wondering how legal is it in Ireland to have such thing flying around? are parks the only legal place they can fly? I mean what stops someone from modifying and attaching a camera to one of those RC helicopters and let it fly around O'Connell?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, so I've been doing some electronics before, then dropped, now that I am studying AI, motions, camera recognition of objects etc.. and I know decent amount of programming in different languages, I was thinking of building a drone-like bot. I was wondering how legal is it in Ireland to have such thing flying around? are parks the only legal place they can fly? I mean what stops someone from modifying and attaching a camera to one of those RC helicopters and let it fly around O'Connell?

Don't know if there's any laws against stuff like that. Probably nothing to stop you putting cameras on a drone and flying around.

Sounds like a great idea though. There's an instructable out there on how to build an arduino navigated UAV which has cameras and stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Don't know if there's any laws against stuff like that. Probably nothing to stop you putting cameras on a drone and flying around.

Sounds like a great idea though. There's an instructable out there on how to build an arduino navigated UAV which has cameras and stuff on it.

Yeah right now I am planning on materials for main body/frame. I don't want something like styrofoam as many suggest for lightweight as that would be blown off by slightest wind.
    Wood seems to be bad option too as it will be damaged by weathering unless properly varnished.
    Aluminium seems to be good option but then again - it's pretty heavy, doable but heavy, so I started to look at carbon fiber, that seems to be a pretty cheap-ish (not cheap but somewhere between cheap and medium) to use and is lightweight too + durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭zg3409

You should contact those who fly radio controlled planes.

In many parks they are banned.

Phoenix park you need to fly in a certain area and have insurance.

This is especially important if the device is big enough to kill or mame or injure someone as in that case you would be liable.

I would suggest getting insurance and only flying in rural areas with permission of the landowner.

Advertisement