Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Punctured tyre fix or not

Options
  • 12-09-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I got a screw right in the middle of my tyre the other day.

The tyre itself is only about a month old.

I took it to be repaired but the guy reckoned it could not be repaired.

He said that in the process i had burnt the wall of my tyre by driving on it while it was deflating.
    He said he could tell this right away by a slightly brown mark on the wall of the tyre.

Then he removed it from the wheel and there was some rubber shreds in side the tyre.

Does this all add up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, a puncture in the middle can often be repaired if it's small.
    But driving on a fully deflated tyre will cut into the side wall. I've done it myself when there was no other option go the off the road. In my case the sidewall actually ruptured.
    The tyre guy is probably right. Any weaknesses in a side wall can be pretty dangerous, particularly at motorway speeds on under any kind of strain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

Yeah any sidewall damage and that the end of the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Im afraid it does, OP. Rubber shreds spell the end of any safe use for that tyre.

Advertisement