Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC right now, 01:43

Options
  • 12-09-2013 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I have just watched the great Ms Sawyer report on 50..if not more...American nobodies who are now jihadis in Syria. The report showed a few idiots dashing around what looked like a wood in Michigan....and then one of these clowns with a nice beard was spoken to sitting with an AK-47. The report is that they mostly come from Minnesota...and that was it. Is this a joke?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I don’t know about such camps in Michigan (although I guess the abandoned homes and depressed areas of Detroit would make for some representative trainning grounds to where the fighting is happening in Syria), but the Twin Cities area of Minnesota has the largest concentration of Somali immigrants in the US. And there are confirmed efforts to recruit them to join al Qaeda and al Shabaab in fighting against the ruling factions in Syria. The Twin Cities area of Minnesota has a rather high Muslim population, and although accurate numbers are hard to determine, estimates range from approximately 20,000 to 130,000 depending on the source. With non-Arab jihadists from China, Australia, Britain, Denmark, France, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden, Canada, Russia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Austria, Belgium, and Bosnia joining the fight in Syria, it is only logical that some Muslims from the US would also join. And one has to wonder if it will produce a new generation of terrorists moving back across the globe after the civil war there diminishes. I have heard of a 40 minute video that chronicles three young men that leave the Twin Cities to join training camps in Somalia, up through their death or "shakada," in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

There has been a relatively huge number of people from all over the world going to fight/join jihad/join extremist groups of their own volition - so much so that countries are specifically putting stops in place to try to halt the flow - they obviously don't want these people coming back radicalised

The most popular recent destination is Syria - Brits, Irish, Swedes, French, you name it.

These two fellas, a yank and brit, were recently offed by Al Shahab in Somalia after differences with the group
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-24060558

Advertisement