Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access 2007 help

Options
  • 11-09-2013 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

I have started to build a database that will allow people to enter there selections for a f1 comp that runs over on the motorsports forum.

Only thing is I have no idea how to get in online for people to use.
    Any ideas would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

You would need some form of web hosting and the ability to access MS Access from via some server side language.

I would suggest not using MS Access by MySQl/MS SQL EXpress etc and a language such as .Net,php etc

Don't forget security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

As above MS Access won't really do the job here.

If it's just for data entry, a google doc/form will do the job, but if you need more logic a mysql/ms sql with a php/.net frontend on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZFamIF4Ci3HFzMHrAXRGNrXsRm9xIYaOnUWX15KJwZg/viewform

Tried going down the google form route but i cannot allow people to make their choices without them also having permission to edit the form itself:(

I would prefer not to have to go down the sign in route as its only a bit of fun.

Going to look into the .php route over the next week or so

BTW im only after doing a basic intro to java and i have no other coding exp.

This should be fun:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

If you only know a little java then have a look at Grails. It's Groovy ... which is java-like but interpreted... and Rails. Rails being the scaffolding concept that Ruby on Rails made so popular. There are lots of very good tutorial videos on the web and in no time at all you can build webapps to persist data. Grails is now under the Spring umbrella so you can easily add things like Spring's very powerful security module as a plugin if you wish. There are a huge number of plugins there already to get you started in most areas. Plus i, if s you get real serious with your site you can easily extend in spring & java without having to discard the work you've to done todate.

Advertisement