Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honeymoon in June

Options
  • 11-09-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi All hope ye can help.

We are looking to book an early honeymoon in june next year. Have narrowed it down to 3 places really. We are looking for an all inclusive beach type resort

Mexico
    Caribbean/ dominican republic
    Maldives

We are looking for advice or suggestions. We really like the idea of the Maldives but am unsure of the weather so dont want to risk it.
    All the websites we look up recomend Europe but we have seen most of europe and have never went long haul before

thanks for all the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

we went to Mexico in June for our honeymoon. when we booked it, Trailfinders never mentioned anything about the weather and we honestly forgot to check it ourselves. It was horrendous!!!! It was rainy and stormy almost everyday. maybe 1-2 days total of sunshine over 10 days. when it wasnt bucketing rain it was overcast and humid. also at night after the rain stopped the tiny flying bugs came out and bit any part of exposed skin! Had bites everywhere and very itchy. Thankfully we had also spent 10 days in the Galapagos so our honeymoon wasnt totally ruined.

So from my experience I wouldnt recommend Mexico in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

we went to Mexico in June for our honeymoon. when we booked it, Trailfinders never mentioned anything about the weather and we honestly forgot to check it ourselves. It was horrendous!!!! It was rainy and stormy almost everyday. maybe 1-2 days total of sunshine over 10 days. when it wasnt bucketing rain it was overcast and humid. also at night after the rain stopped the tiny flying bugs came out and bit any part of exposed skin! Had bites everywhere and very itchy. Thankfully we had also spent 10 days in the Galapagos so our honeymoon wasnt totally ruined.

So from my experience I wouldnt recommend Mexico in June!

Thanks for the reply. i had read that june was the start of the storm season but didnt think it was that bad. Various websites are all saying that June is probably the worst for long haul honeymoons because of weather. How were the Galapagos. They look really interesting and was thinking of doing it as a two part honeymoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Europe europe europe all the way. You can't possibly have "seen most of europe"! You'd need to be 300 years old. :)

Have you been here?
    http://www.i-escape.com/grace-santorini/overview

5 star it up across some cities. Does monte carlo appeal?

Greek islands, sardinia, capri, santorini, monaco, the alpine resorts are amazing.
    Provence region of france, or the beach resorts in the south ( http://www.grand-hotel-cap-ferrat.com/uk/index.php ) , baden baden in germany.

Iceland and any nordic country is truely stunning in june, but would be worlds away from lying on a beach with cocktails I guess. The greek islands is where I would go. Crystal clear waters, nice temperature. Island hopping. It would be gorgeous and you would be spending your money on fantastic accommodation instead of flying across the world.

If you have your heart set on long haul, my brother did a 'minimoon', stayed a long weekend in some nice places in Ireland, and went on honeymoon the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The Galapagos was amazing!!!! We went with a tour company suggested by Trailfinders. As I get sea sickness i didnt want to do a cruise in the galapagos but TF had one where you stay in 2-3* hotels on about 3 islands and visit 5 about islands over 7 days. It really was the best option for us.

Our group only had 4 other people on it so was really personal, if the weather wasnt right or somewhere looked too busy, the guide just switched our itinerary around. much better than travelling with 15-20 other people as you do with the cruises. we also got to experience the night life on the islands and interacted more with the locals. was really great!

Also the history and the animals are amazing! we have about a 1000 pictures of sealions and iguanas and tortoises! weather was great when we were there. we spent 2 days either side in Quito which is a great city also.

we swam with sea lions, marine iguanas, and sea turtles! like proper within touching distance!

Galapagos is still the best holiday we have ever had and weve travelled a fair bit. [never been on safari tho - that might be the only thing that could top it i think]

• Registered Users Posts: 5 glflyinlove

tippgod wrote: »
    Hi All hope ye can help.

We are looking to book an early honeymoon in june next ave narrowed it down to 3 places really. We are looking for an all inclusive beach type resort

Mexico
    Caribbean/ dominican republic
    Maldives

We are looking for advice or suggestions. We really like the idea of the Maldives but am unsure of the weather so dont want to risk it.
    All the websites we look up recomend Europe but we have seen most of europe and have never went long haul before

thanks for all the help

June is definitely too risky. There is 5* Monart Spa in wexford. It is heavenly good. I mean it!!!! No kids allowed, it is so private there. You won't believe how great the place is. But it is pricey. Or you could go on a cruise and see lots of different things. No need to spend a fortune. There are always sales on the last minute website. And then in winter you could go to Maldives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭naughtyfox

I was in the maldives in june for two weeks and it only rained for one day and two nights didnt even bother me to be honest just booked into the spa on the rainy day and sat at the bar. Don't be put off by the weather its really hot and lovely about 40 degrees for 12 hours a day 6am to 6pm mostly. Fab place for honeymoons!

We honeymooned in June and went to Brazil and Argentina. It combined lots of sightseeing and culture with beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 oscar19

We are also looking at June next year. We have a few ideas:

- Vegas, San Francisco, then either Hawaii or maybe St Lucas.
    - Drive the coast from San Fran down to San Diago then get in a few days on a beech to finish it off.
    - Island hopping in Thailand.

Like yourself tippgod, we have done a lot of travelling around Europe, and we can see a lot more of europe for cheap in the future when we can't afford to go on a holiday of a life time that we will probably never do again.

We're open to more suggestions, so we would love some advise too.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Zazza1

oscar19 wrote: »
    We are also looking at June next year. We have a few ideas:

- Vegas, San Francisco, then either Hawaii or maybe St Lucas.
    - Drive the coast from San Fran down to San Diago then get in a few days on a beech to finish it off.

Hi Oscar19, all,

We are looking at June 2015 as well! I had great notions of somewhere like Bora Bora but €3k a night has put a halt to that trail of thought!!! We'd love a mix of a really luxurious/beach destination somewhere tropical and hopefully driving along the West Coast of the States as well. Any thoughts or advice appreciated!! Are places like the Maldives/ Hawaii/Barbados worth the money? Kinda feel like it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to really spoil ourselves and go somewhere unusual, you'll never do it again really!

Some friends did the Cancun/Vegas honeymoon but they really wouldn't recommend Cancun as they said you're not really supposed to leave the resort and it gets a bit monotonous!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

We did the following
    5 night tour of Sri lanka
    8 nights in the maldives
    4 nights in Dubai

i would recommend it as a honeymoon. Sri lanka was great to see and the weather was nice with it in the low 30s but a bit cloudy. We did a package tour but got our own driver. Maldives was in the mid 30s but was partily cloudy but still got a great bit of sun. Dubai was hot (low 40s) but great place to visit and tons to do.
    We would go back to Maldives and dubai in the morning, Sri lanka is a great experence but only need to see it once i reckon.
    The cost was 6k but overall we only spent an extra 2k (mostly shopping in dubai)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Zazza1

We did the following
    5 night tour of Sri lanka
    8 nights in the maldives
    4 nights in Dubai

i would recommend it as a honeymoon. Sri lanka was great to see and the weather was nice with it in the low 30s but a bit cloudy. We did a package tour but got our own driver. Maldives was in the mid 30s but was partily cloudy but still got a great bit of sun. Dubai was hot (low 40s) but great place to visit and tons to do.
    We would go back to Maldives and dubai in the morning, Sri lanka is a great experence but only need to see it once i reckon.
    The cost was 6k but overall we only spent an extra 2k (mostly shopping in dubai)

Thanks tippgod, the Maldives sound amazing! Anywhere you'd recommend there? been to Dubai twice and not a huge fan of it.

So hard to narrow it down!! :)

We went to kuramathi. We went for basic all inclusive and found it perfect. Select all inclusive is a bit of waste of money really and we stayed in a beach villa but the cheaper villas were perfect too so could go cheaper. Really the Maldives is all about the beaches

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

We went to kuramathi. We went for basic all inclusive and found it perfect. Select all inclusive is a bit of waste of money really and we stayed in a beach villa but the cheaper villas were perfect too so could go cheaper. Really the Maldives is all about the beaches

Can i ask did you arrange that yourself? Any tips for where to get a "fair" price?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jamaica in July (end of July)

10 days, great weather with maybe 30 mins of rain every second day.
    Couple of days the temp dropped to 20/21 but most times was about 28-30.

Went 5 star all inclusive, would defintely go back.

Couples Swept Away was the resort.

We went to kuramathi too, but went select all inclusive, which was definitely worth it! We paid for a beach villa but were upgraded to a deluxe beach villa near the sand bank. Was excellent there.

We booked through Cassidy travel I think their name is. Total cost was about €6400 altogether which sounds high but all food and drink was included.

Dónal wrote: »
    We went to kuramathi too, but went select all inclusive, which was definitely worth it! We paid for a beach villa but were upgraded to a deluxe beach villa near the sand bank. Was excellent there.

We booked through Cassidy travel I think their name is. Total cost was about €6400 altogether which sounds high but all food and drink was included.

please tell me that was for 2 weeks :-)

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    please tell me that was for 2 weeks :-)

Ten nights I think.

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Can i ask did you arrange that yourself? Any tips for where to get a "fair" price?

We went to a few local travel agents in cork and was getting quotes of around 8k. Then we went to well know local cork city agent and got a quote of 6k . Herself was formally a travel agent so we went about booking it ourselves but we couldnt really better the 6k quote. Then we met people in Kuramathi and we found out our deal was excellent compared to theirs.

We went to a few local travel agents in cork and was getting quotes of around 8k. Then we went to well know local cork city agent and got a quote of 6k . Herself was formally a travel agent so we went about booking it ourselves but we couldnt really better the 6k quote. Then we met people in Kuramathi and we found out our deal was excellent compared to theirs.

Looks like i have a bit of work to do. I was actually hoping 6-7k may get me away for 3 weeks.
    Basing this on nothing whatsoever, but perhaps Caribbean with an American city taken in at the end may be another (cheaper) option.

Advertisement