Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me identify a fish i caught last night

Options
  • 11-09-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

hi there, first post here
    I was fishing for mackerel last night in Galway along the prom. Lots and lots of people about catching loads of fish by the looks of it. For every mackerel I caught i was catching at least one of the, as yet, unidentified fish. Unfortunately I don't have a picture as I didn't have a camera with me and I threw them all back.

Anyway, they were about the length of a mackerel with a similar shape tail, a bit thinner around the middle. They're eyes are a bit bigger. The most obvious feature was the spikes! two sharp, hard, spikes on the underside towards the tail and a hard ridge along the sides of the tail. Light silvery colour.

I've searched on google and couldn't find one like it in any of the irish sea fish species sites I looked at. I know that it's not pollack, wrasse, bass or mullet.

Any help identifying them would be great. It's wrecking my head!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

• Registered Users Posts: 38 12barblues

eureka! thats the one
    thanks for that

any idea if the make good eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

12barblues wrote: »
    eureka! thats the one
    thanks for that

any idea if the make good eating?

yup, supposed to be as nice or nicer than mackerel

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

Scad, very popular eating fish in spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Part of the same family though aren't they. Think they are called mackerel scad.
    I've caught them before aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Also called horse mackerel. Very good eating, and makes very good sushi apparently. Pretty unusual to get them so close to shore...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Bet you're raging you threw them all back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Part of the same family though aren't they. Think they are called mackerel scad.
    I've caught them before aswell.

According to this:
    "Scad is a shoaling species which is found all around the UK. They are not actually related to mackerel despite their alternative name of horse mackerel"

Caught a load of them myself about 2 years ago when trying to get a few mackerel so they all went back too. Didn't think they would be much good to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Has anyone ever heard that scad can carry toxins?? I was told this after catching and eating 3 of them
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackerel_scad

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Has anyone ever heard that scad can carry toxins?? I was told this after catching and eating 3 of them
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackerel_scad

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

That is a issue of all pelagic fish, it is on account of the food chain concentrating various toxins (mercury in tuna/salmon for example). As tuna, mackeral etc. eat smaller fish which in turn eat even smaller fish, vegatation etc, quantities of toxins they become concentrated in larger pelagic species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Zzippy wrote: »
    Also called horse mackerel. Very good eating, and makes very good sushi apparently. Pretty unusual to get them so close to shore...

we always refered to very large mackerel as horse mackerel and saw scad seperately. we must have been wrong. the scad used turn up after dark close to shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

SeaFields wrote: »
    we always refered to very large mackerel as horse mackerel and saw scad seperately. we must have been wrong. the scad used turn up after dark close to shore.

Yup, had a few in Cobh this year while fishing for mackerel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

viper123 wrote: »
    That is a issue of all pelagic fish, it is on account of the food chain concentrating various toxins (mercury in tuna/salmon for example). As tuna, mackeral etc. eat smaller fish which in turn eat even smaller fish, vegatation etc, quantities of toxins they become concentrated in larger pelagic species.

So its nothing to be concerned about???

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

So long as you don't overeat them! Pregnant women are recommended one portion per week, so you can conclude yourself the risks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

It wouldn't be top of my list of things no. Just don't eat tuna too frequently, or farmed salmon for that matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

SeaFields wrote: »

You're neither wrong nor right - horse mackerel is a generic term used in various places to refer to different species. Scad is the correct term, horse mackerel is a common name also used for scad in these parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

and just to add to the mix.. we would have always called Spanish Mackerel horse mackerel :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

Budawanny wrote: »
    and just to add to the mix.. we would have always called Spanish Mackerel horse mackerel :-)

and where do you be when your catching Spanish mackerel:confused: not looking for your mark, a county/country would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

johnner1 wrote: »
    and where do you be when your catching Spanish mackerel:confused: not looking for your mark, a county/country would do.

ah you get an odd one anywhere in the west.. clew bay we used to get an odd one. but they are just blow ins.. not really common at all compared to your normal mackerel.

Advertisement