Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card

Options
  • 11-09-2013 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

If someone sets up a credit card In my name and then rack up a huge bill, who has to pay it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

As far as i know whoevers name is on the card

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If someone sets up a credit card In my name and then rack up a huge bill, who has to pay it??

How did they set it up in your name? Contact the banks fraud section. Also contact the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bianca_bianca

How did they set it up in your name? Contact the banks fraud section. Also contact the police.

Well my friend said she wants to set up a joint credit card in my name, I said I wudnt like that but just incase she does, I want to make sure the banks won't allow it without me agreeing? Surely that's illegal right?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Well my friend said she wants to set up a joint credit card in my name, I said I wudnt like that but just incase she does, I want to make sure the banks won't allow it without me agreeing? Surely that's illegal right?

Are you sure 'friend' is the right description of this person ??

You have to sign the documents too, she cant just set it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Run away. Run away fast.

I personally know of an arrangement where someone did this and fecked off.

The person, in the uk, had to declare bankruptcy. It was on their head as their so called friend disappeared.

Run away. Run away fast.

I personally know of an arrangement where someone did this and fecked off.

The person, in the uk, had to declare bankruptcy. It was on their head as their so called friend disappeared.

Yes but did this person in uk sign and agree to the credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Well my friend said she wants to set up a joint credit card in my name, I said I wudnt like that
    Don't agree to anything that you don't like, especially where money & potential debt in your name is concerned.
    but just incase she does, I want to make sure the banks won't allow it without me agreeing? Surely that's illegal right?
    They won't. If she went about it it would be fraud.

Just tell her to do one & don't get involved. Even on the little information you've supplied the plan sounds dodgy, dangerous & downright foolish. Tell her to get a prepaid mastercard or visa debit card.

Oh, if she's the sort of person who would do as you suggest then she's not a friend at all. Disassociate yourself from her ASAP, as she's bound to lead you into trouble. It's only a matter of time.

Don't agree to anything that you don't like, especially where money & potential debt in your name is concerned.

They won't. If she went about it it would be fraud.

Just tell her to do one & don't get involved. Even on the little information you've supplied the plan sounds dodgy, dangerous & downright foolish. Tell her to get a prepaid mastercard or visa debit card.

Oh, if she's the sort of person who would do as you suggest then she's not a friend at all. Disassociate yourself from her ASAP, as she's bound to lead you into trouble. It's only a matter of time.

Yes she would hate to upset me but she has Done things in the past without telling me. For example, she gave my address for a Luas fine before. I got very cross and she said if I pay she would pay back and then I paid and she did pay back but it was blatantly wrong and I don't like it. Also she recently bought a car and she told me she would put me as the car owner cos I always wanted a car and she wanted to share it and also cos she is still on a provisional, she put me as the owner o the car. Is there any problems I could run into from this?

Yes she would hate to upset me but she has Done things in the past without telling me. For example, she gave my address for a Luas fine before. I got very cross and she said if I pay she would pay back and then I paid and she did pay back but it was blatantly wrong and I don't like it. Also she recently bought a car and she told me she would put me as the car owner cos I always wanted a car and she wanted to share it and also cos she is still on a provisional, she put me as the owner o the car. Is there any problems I could run into from this?

Yes, you are liable for any shenanigans she gets up to in it. Be on the lookout for fines in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

she put me as the owner o the car. Is there any problems I could run into from this?

Apart from Penalty Points, Parking Fines, Summons for no Tax/Insurance/NCT
    Insurance Liability for any accidents she has, etc etc etc

Are you really that stuck for 'friends' ...........

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To get a credit card in your name, you'ld have to apply for it, or she would have to fraudulently do so using your credentials. Not easy, as photo ID etc would be needed.

There aren't "joint" credit card accounts, in the same way there are bank accounts. She can open an account herself, and add you as an additional card holder/authorised user, but any debt accrued would be her responsibility. Vice versa, you could open an account, and make her an authorised user and any debt she accrues would be your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is there any problems I could run into from this?

+1 get her to change the car over to her own name or sell it on her:D. Who's the main name on the insurance policy? I really hope it's not you.
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    To get a credit card in your name, you'ld have to apply for it, or she would have to fraudulently do so using your credentials. Not easy, as photo ID etc would be needed.

There aren't "joint" credit card accounts, in the same way there are bank accounts. She can open an account herself, and add you as an additional card holder/authorised user, but any debt accrued would be her responsibility. Vice versa, you could open an account, and make her an authorised user and any debt she accrues would be your responsibility.

Are you sure that an additional user is responsible for their debts? Seems a bit silly to issue an additional user card if the original user isn't somehow liable otherwise why don't they just give the additional user their own account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Del2005 wrote:

Are you sure that an additional user is responsible for their debts? Seems a bit silly to issue an additional user card if the original user isn't somehow liable otherwise why don't they just give the additional user their own account.
    It looks as if you've misread what BuffyBot has said, which is the account holder is responsible, not the authorised user.

What?? You're joking?? I did nothing whatsoever!!! I did not sign anything on the car!!!
    She registered it under my name when she bought it. How is that fair?
    How can I get penalty points for her doing things wrong on the road? Surely it's the driver of the car who gets the penalty points??
    And how can they summons me for her not paying tax? How is it anything to do with me??? If she drives uninsured, is that not her fault? Why would I have to deal with it??
    If anytrouble arises for me, can I say I am not the owner of the car and that she put me down as the owner but I am not driving the car?

Del2005 wrote: »
    +1 get her to change the car over to her own name or sell it on her:D. Who's the main name on the insurance policy? I really hope it's not you.

As far as I am aware she has no insurance.. Jesus Christ, can she put my name on the insurance policy aswell???

What?? You're joking?? I did nothing whatsoever!!! I did not sign anything on the car!!!
    How can I get penalty points for her doing things wrong on the road? Surely it's the driver of the car who gets the penalty points??
    And how can they summons me for her not paying tax? How is it anything to do with me??? If she drives uninsured, is that not her fault? Why would I have to deal with it??
    If anytrouble arises for me, can I say I am not the owner of the car and that she put me down as the owner but I am not driving the car?

You should have gotten correspondence in the post about the car when she used your name. Reply to it and set them straight.

TBH your mate sounds like a wagon, she is going to cause a pile of trouble for you eventually. If you are complicit in fraud (which you might be unless you contact people straight away as you are away of what she is doing) you will get in as much trouble as her

You should have gotten correspondence in the post about the car when she used your name. Reply to it and set them straight.

TBH your mate sounds like a wagon, she is going to cause a pile of trouble for you eventually. If you are complicit in fraud (which you might be unless you contact people straight away as you are away of what she is doing) you will get in as much trouble as her

But the problem is she registered the car in my full name but in her address!! She is from Pakistan and part of me thinks she's doing all this to try stay here. HOW IS A PERSON ALLOWED TO PUT MY NAME ON THEIR VEHICLE!? WHY DO I HAVE TO TAKE ALL THE STRESS NOW????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As far as I am aware she has no insurance.. Jesus Christ, can she put my name on the insurance policy aswell???

If the car is registered in your name if a person isn't nominated to take the points it goes to you. You need to contact Shannon to get the car out of your name. The issue is that unless you highlight the fact that she's using your name fraudulently on car it may be harder to proof your innocence later.

You really need to speak to either the Gardaí, who I doubt will be much use, or a solicitor to get yourself out from this mess your "friend" is potentially getting you into.

Is my NAME just enough though? Surely there are more people with my name in the country..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That girl isn't right in the head by the sounds of it. Either transfer the ownership of that car back to her, or contact the Gardai about a fraud attempt.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You need to have a chat with her and then find a new friend.

Frankly, if she's been getting away with all this, you need more assistance than a website can give you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement