Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to oz or stay in Ireland

• 11-09-2013 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi everyone first time using it this and i am really stuck.

I came back from oz last febuary and i cant decide whether to go back or stay in Ireland.
    I had planned to go back earlier in the year but i dont know now whether it is the right choice or not.
    Im unemployed at the moment and it is killing me sitting at home most days.
    I dont know whether if i should stick it out for nother month half because thats when i should have the money to head back. Or forget about australia for now and start looking for things to do here. If i knew for sure i wanted to stay here i would know that id have to get a car {simply have to get around no other way from where i live} and maybe start looking for courses/ work to get from further afield. but then i think maybe i should stick it out for a bit longer and hold onto my savings for oz but i dont even know if that is the right choice. I really am stuck on this one and i have to make a decision soon because its driving me and my parents insane { my parents dont like me sitting around every week i dont like it myself but i know thats what i have to do to save money and get back to oz} Would like to know if anyone is in the same position or with some advice.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

j21egan wrote: »
    Hi everyone first time using it this and i am really stuck.

I came back from oz last febuary and i cant decide whether to go back or stay in Ireland.
    I had planned to go back earlier in the year but i dont know now whether it is the right choice or not.
    Im unemployed at the moment and it is killing me sitting at home most days.
    I dont know whether if i should stick it out for nother month half because thats when i should have the money to head back. Or forget about australia for now and start looking for things to do here. If i knew for sure i wanted to stay here i would know that id have to get a car {simply have to get around no other way from where i live} and maybe start looking for courses/ work to get from further afield. but then i think maybe i should stick it out for a bit longer and hold onto my savings for oz but i dont even know if that is the right choice. I really am stuck on this one and i have to make a decision soon because its driving me and my parents insane { my parents dont like me sitting around every week i dont like it myself but i know thats what i have to do to save money and get back to oz} Would like to know if anyone is in the same position or with some advice.
    Thanks

Do you mean return on a 2nd holiday visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 j21egan

ye I can apply for my second year i have done the 3 month regional work.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

From my reading of your post you have to wait for a month and a half until you have the funds to return anyway, thats if you want to return. I also get the impression that if you had a job and income that you would be happy to stay in Ireland.

So what i think you should do is to start sending out CV's and if you have a job in Ireland within the month and a half then stay. If however you dont have a job with in the six weeks then maybe you should return.

If you want to go to college the CAO have a list of vacant places on their website. So college is also an option.

Thanks for the advice ye il have a look on the cao really makes it easier when seeing peoples different views cheers for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

come back out in 6 weeks lad, no point wasting away at home like a hobbit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If you come out again just to get away from Ireland you'll still have to face the prospect of returning to Ireland unless you've got a plan to go elsewhere if you can't apply for any further visas, essentially kicking the can down the road.

On the other hand if you focus on a course that gives you more options then you'll probably return to australia at a later date but possibly with better prospects to come and go as you please.

Catbear does have a point, after the year in Aussie, you might find yourself heading to the US or Canada to do another year.

ye great advice guys really got me thinkin :) one last question please Can i get bact to education allowance I know you have to be unemployed for 9 months but it says it doesnt have to be continously i was unemployed for 4 months b4 i left and now have been unemployed for 6 since ive been back. So ten months alltogether will this entile me to get it. The part im stuck on is i cant get any information online about being away for a year only if you have been employed short term or signed on twice within 12 months and adding up to 9 months. again any insight would be brill Cheers :)

The guy down at my local SW office told me he'd put people on the BTEA if they had been unemployed for only 3months even though officially you need to have been unemployed for 9 months.

Get down the SW office and ask them if they allow you to get the BTEA. You'll need to get your skates on as most colleges wont allow you to take up a place, I think 3 weeks after the course starts.

ye mate cheers i have the forms. i applied for a vacant position at a college awaiting to hear if i got it next thursday if so il hand the forms in with the course on it on friday Thanks sounds awesome never thought the sw could be so nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Whats oz like in anyway for a bloke with no degree or trade ? Can you simply go to an agency and get labour work or some sort with a decent wage ? Been thinking of going over myself but dont know if it will be worth it I dont think everyone lands on there feet as youd think they would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

When I was there (in Melbourne) I noticed signs for 'Irish labourers wanted' in some backpaker travel shops, I assume the boss was Irish and looking to help out Irish folk.. It would be a big risk to go out so you'd need to backup cash but if your doing nothing in Ireland then you may as well give it a go..

lima wrote: »
    I noticed signs for 'Irish labourers wanted'

:eek:
    See people don't realize that that job posting expressing looking for "Irish" is just as bad as job posting which exclude Irish people from a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

ifeelill wrote: »
    :eek:
    See people don't realize that that job posting expressing looking for "Irish" is just as bad as job posting which exclude Irish people from a position.

People don't really care

Irish people might not ..............

I think the work over there has slowed down from a few years ago. When i was there last year work was hard to find but eventually i always did find some. as far as high paying jobs where you come home loaded is really very hard really ud have to be lucky. In sayin that tho if your looking for an experience and a break from the life here id recommend it to anyone id had an absolute blast of a time last year.

Advertisement