Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple on Social Welfare and renting

Options
  • 11-09-2013 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Hello :) ,

I have been seeking work and have been claiming Jobseekers allowance (188 per week) for the past year. My boyfriend works two days a week and is claiming Casual Jobseekers Allowance for the remaining 3 days. He earns 128 a week at his job and 134 per week on JSA. We are looking to move in together and we are wondering - will our payments will be affected by this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    Hello :) ,

I have been seeking work and have been claiming Jobseekers allowance (188 per week) for the past year. My boyfriend works two days a week and is claiming Casual Jobseekers Allowance for the remaining 3 days. He earns 128 a week at his job and 134 per week on JSA. We are looking to move in together and we are wondering - will our payments will be affected by this?

Yes

You will receive 188

Your partner will be a qualified adult on your claim. (You can be a qualified adult on his claim as well)

Because he is now a "qualified adult" on your claim that means his JSA will be reduced

His Income 128
    Minus daily disregard (2*20) 40
    Assessed earnings 52.80 (60% of 88)

New Jobseekers rate

JA without working 312.80 (maximum claim 188+124.80)
    Minus assessed earnings 52.80
    New rate of JA 260.00 (188 for you plus 72 for him as qualified adult)

Therefore his new weekly jobseekers allowance will be €72

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Thank you :)

Advertisement