Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Conditions

Options
  • 11-09-2013 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

If you had planned on doing some fly fishing and had gotten up early to get ready, would you still go if it started to rain heavily? How would the rain affect your fishing experience?

I don't know what to do now :(

I have to drive 12 kms on a motorbike to get to the river, so I'll probably be a bit damp by the time I get there. The forecast says showers all day, even though it didn't forecast yesterday for rain. So it's difficult to trust them. I use met.ie and weather.ie.msn regularly but they get it wrong more often than they get it right.

There's a saying among bikers in Ireland that "if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride". Is this along the same lines for fishermen?

The rain is easing a little now and high tide is in in an hour. What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

It's only 12k. Go and fish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Blondie919 wrote: »
    If you had planned on doing some fly fishing and had gotten up early to get ready, would you still go if it started to rain heavily? How would the rain affect your fishing experience?

I have to drive 12 kms on a motorbike to get to the river, so I'll probably be a bit damp by the time I get there. The forecast says showers all day, even though it didn't forecast yesterday for rain. So it's difficult to trust them. I use met.ie and weather.ie.msn regularly but they get it wrong more often than they get it right.

There's a saying among bikers in Ireland that "if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride". Is this along the same lines for fishermen?

The rain is easing a little now and high tide is in in an hour. What should I do?

Fcuk what bikers say and fcuk what anglers say.

If you yourself have serious doubt,and dont feel safe or confident to go,then dont go and go another time instead.

Your health is your wealth at the end of the day.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I find showery weather gives some of the best conditions for fishing on the river for brown trout. 12km is not far.
    I rarely let weather spoil a day's fishing. My only exception is shore fishing as, in addition to being particularly uncomfortable in bad weather, it can also be unsafe. That said, showers like today are hardly winter conditions. Estuary fishing on a day like today can be excellent on the fly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

"No such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing"

Not my quote but certainly rings true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

A friend of mine says, of going to the gym, "Tomorrow, you'll regret not going, you wont regret going". I feel the same way about fishing. This time tomorrow you might have spent 6 hours sat in the rain and caught feck all, but you will have gone fishing.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    This time tomorrow you might have spent 6 hours sat in the rain and caught feck all, but you will have gone fishing.

He was going 8 days ago! :D

He was going 8 days ago! :D

Doh!

Still, the sentiment remains. In Ireland, if you're going to let rain put you off you're hobby, you need to find another hobby.

syklops wrote: »
    Doh!

Still, the sentiment remains. In Ireland, if you're going to let rain put you off you're hobby, you need to find another hobby.

Well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I went, caught nothing but got a few nibbles. Still, glad I went :)

Went again this evening and again caught nothing. There are some big fish in that river but I don't know what fly they are taking. I put lots of different flies up but no joy. I'll be back there again tomorrow though.

I went, caught nothing but got a few nibbles. Still, glad I went :)

Went again this evening and again caught nothing. There are some big fish in that river but I don't know what fly they are taking. I put lots of different flies up but no joy. I'll be back there again tomorrow though.

Well done for braving it.

I went out a few weeks ago with a guy I know. He is very knowledgeable, wins competitions and everything. He took us to this spot and fish were jumping left right and centre. He was using flies, I was using worms and herself was spinning and we didnt catch a thing. We could see them, but they werent biting. He said "Fishing is like hurling, except you don't know if the other team will turn up". In this case, the other team turned up but weren't in the mood for playing.

If you dont like not catching fish, and you dont like rain, fishing is not for you. I'm really only a noob, but I've not caught anything yet since being back in Ireland but Im loving it so far. Only time I've not enjoyed myself was when I didnt prepare right, didn't have the right shoes, or left the worms behind(big mistake!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement