Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Tax on Pathfinder 2.5?

Options
  • 10-09-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a nissan pathfinder 2.5 crica 2005-2007...
    I am not looking to put it on the road at a commercial as its my own private vehicle for transporting musical equipment and such, plus i don't own or work for a company that can qualify for commercial.

I know its more pricey to go private but it how much more?

can i just buy the car and tax and insure it as i would my current private car or do i need to jump through hoops to do this? I want to buy one with a commercial rear conversion (ie. no back seats) am i allowed to have this as my private vehicle?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Ipro

Heathen wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy a nissan pathfinder 2.5 crica 2005-2007...
    I am not looking to put it on the road at a commercial as its my own private vehicle for transporting musical equipment and such, plus i don't own or work for a company that can qualify for commercial.

I know its more pricey to go private but it how much more?

can i just buy the car and tax and insure it as i would my current private car or do i need to jump through hoops to do this? I want to buy one with a commercial rear conversion (ie. no back seats) am i allowed to have this as my private vehicle?

Thanks

Yes you can have this as your private vehicle .

When you buy the car you change the tax class to private and will be charged the normal private tax rate for a 2.5 ( what ever that is at the moment )

Insure as normal private car . 2 seater in your case.

Later in if you want to add back seats you may be liable to some kind of tax/vrt AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

As far as i know you can buy a commercial and insure it commercially and tax it privately without issue,

i like the pathfinders, then i drove one and it felt like a boat !

foot down hard and brake hard and its a sea-saw !

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Not sure but if you buy a commercial, I think there will be some hoops to jump through alright...for example vrt is different for private. Motor tax on the pathie is nearly a grand.

For what it's worth, if you buy a non commercial pathie, the five seats in the back all fold perfectly flat so it's as good as having a commercial one.you can then pop the seats up when you want to give all those groupies a lift:D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Ipro

Not sure but if you buy a commercial, I think there will be some hoops to jump through alright...for example vrt is different for private. Motor tax on the pathie is nearly a grand.

For what it's worth, if you buy a non commercial pathie, the five seats in the back all fold perfectly flat so it's as good as having a commercial one.you can then pop the seats up when you want to give all those groupies a lift:D

I think this vrt would only apply if converting it from a commercial (ie 2 seats ) into a PASSANGER (ie 5 seats)

AFAIK changing it on the log book to a PRIVATE (not to be confused with PASSANGER) would simply just change the tax class to private entitling the op to drive it for private purposes and insure it for private purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Buy a private passenger and have all the benefits that come with it including rear seats.
    Chances are it has had a easier life and will look much better. Because of the higher motor tax the private passenger version can give better bang for your buck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement