Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 10-22mm or Canon L 24-105mm...hear me out

Options
  • 10-09-2013 9:16pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, so as the title suggests I'm having some trouble coming to a decision on my next lens.

First things first, I know the comparison is a bit nonsensical on the face of it. Currently this is my gear:

Canon 60D
    Sigma 30mm f1.4
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Canon 55-250mm
    Canon 35-128mm

So this is where my choice comes in. A 10-22 would be a nice addition to my collection, and would offer a nice new perspective to landscape/urban photography which is what I shoot the most.

However, what has me questioning this logic, is whether I step up to full frame or not in the next year-ish. And if I do, I essentially start again with my lenses. Hence the Canon L comes into the picture. It would obviously fit in as a replacement to my 35-128, and give me the benefit of being much better glass and f4 throughout the focal length range.

Just looking for some opinions on this strange comparison :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

what about a 17-40 f/4L ; will be grand on FF, and it's wider than what you have now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

If you are planning to move to full frame I'd give it a miss TBH... As above the 17-40 is a similar price and would set you up nicely for full frame.

I used the 10-22 on crop and the 17-40 on FF. The 17-40 is sharper with less distortion and better colour reproduction. On a crop the 17-40 is a great standard zoom.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jaysis lads, hadn't considered that at all. Looks like you could be onto a winner. That looks to be a great compromise.

think so! you can pick one up between €400 (second hand) - 600 online

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Just bought a 10-22 love it

If you're not gonna do down that route though http://www.adverts.ie/lenses/canon-ef-17-40mm-f-4l-usm/3730386

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have the Canon 24-105 and the Sigma 10-20mm. They are both great. The 24-105 was the first and only lens I had for ages. There is a reason its a very popular do-all zoom. However I get more fun out of my other (prime) lenses these days. The sigma 10-20mm is great though I really love it - the differencethe super wide 10mm makes is brilliant. I don't know how you managge with only 30/35mm as your minimum!

If I were you I'd seriously consider the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. It gets cracking reviews and really you need some faster lenses. I'd then sell one of your bigger zooms and get a 70-200mm F4. You'll see a huge difference in image quality - its one of the best value lenses you can get.

Zascar wrote: »
    If I were you I'd seriously consider the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8. It gets cracking reviews and really you need some faster lenses.

i haven't read anything on it, but do you know if this lens will work on a FF body?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

i haven't read anything on it, but do you know if this lens will work on a FF body?

Nope - crop sensor only.

Pete67 wrote: »
    Nope - crop sensor only.

ugh .. i guess my only choice is 17-40 or 16-35

I bought the 10-22 a few days ago, love love love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

post a few pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

W0LFMAN wrote: »
    post a few pics?
    Have this for a while now...and loving it.
    Here is a shot handheld and fully open
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/68202745@N08/8680381473/sizes/l/

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Very Nice.

Ona Side note,,, did you take the Star photos?.. and if you did?.. HHHHHHHow?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

W0LFMAN wrote: »
    Ona Side note,,, did you take the Star photos?.. and if you did?.. HHHHHHHow?
    Yep thats all mine.There are many ways to do astrophotography.There is even a forum here on boards
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1578
    apologies to OP for going off topic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well I just got the 10-22...god damn it's wide! :eek:

Can't wait to have fun with it now!

How have you been finding this lens?

I have it too, takes a bit of getting used to but love it.

Advertisement