Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effective Study Plan for Incoming Leaving Certificate students

Options
  • 10-09-2013 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I decided to make this thread partly because it worked a charm for me for my leaving cert this year and I thought I'd pass it on to you new LC students. Please understand that this is my own personal study plan, It may not suit you and it's pretty intense. PLEASE NOTE: This technique is particularly effective during holiday breaks and weekends when you have loads of free time,

you WILL notice that weekends and holiday breaks are like a gift, You get so much study done during them and you should SERIOUSLY consider studying during them to save time later. This is something you WILL regret if you don't do it now!!

Basically what I first did was make a calender with Mon-Sun on the top, Fairly easy. Then I made a separate box underneath and( Assuming you're doing 7 subjects for the LC) I allocated two core subjects to each day of the week. By core subject I mean that they are the subjects that I primarily focused on for that particular day.

It looked something similar to this.

aM2ttyE.jpg

You'll Notice I rotate the subjects every two days.

After that you'll want to set up a timetable, I'm assuming you all finish at 4pm so lets start at 5pm. You want to focus on your core subjects for that day more than others so that means studying them longer and if possible more. So your timetable will comprise of the following, for example.

Monday: 5pm-7:50pm DCG
    7pm- 7:50pm Dinner, Break, Homework ( You can rotate this based on when you need/have these)

Bear in mind this is an example. Obviously you pick when to start, I found that starting at, for example 11:00am and studying a subject for 1 hr and 50mins and then taking a ten minute break until 1pm and then starting the next subject until 2:50pm worked great.

So the rule of thumb is:
    1. Start on the hour (11:00am, 2pm, 3pm...etc) and finish that subject 1hr and 50mins later.

2. Take a ten minute break and start the next subject on the hour.

I know one of my weekends was comprised of the following.

9am-10:50am German
    11am-12:50pm DCG
    1pm- 2:50pm Maths
    3pm-4:50pm German
    6pm-7:50pm DCG
    8pm-9:50pm Physics

You can see that German and DCG appear twice, Those were the core subjects I had for that particular day.

Another Great Idea is to list off all the chapters in all your subjects and put it at the front of your journal, Then as you complete each chapter you tick each one off.

This Study technique was particually effective during the christmas and easter holidays because I had from 9am-10pm each day free instead of having school and homework to worry about. I'd recommend it this, as I've said at the start, During holiday breaks and weekends.

I wish you all the best in LC 2014 and thanks for reading.

BittaTrig.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dmac16

brilliant advice, was thinking of doing some of it myself and was hesitating but after seeing this now, I'm just going to make it out and see how it goes, thanks for the help :D great idea for midterms, etc!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

The amount of these study timetables I made over the course of the LC was ridiculous. I don't think I stuck to one of them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭BittaTrig

The amount of these study timetable I made over the course of the LC was ridiculous. I don't think I stuck to one of them. :o

I was the same, But when you're pressed for time and you know you need to do something, Having all this wrote out just makes it feel rewarding afterwards, Like you've accomplished something great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Neyo24

How long would you advice to study for a particular subject during weekdays?
    I am also only doing six subjects since I don't do Irish xD

Advertisement