Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marlborough Street

Options
  • 10-09-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Ok so the last thing I want to happen here is for people to start fighting about an area - it always happens with these posts so lets try avoid it. What I really want to know if whether Marlborough Street is a safe place to live - from people who have lived there, or at least know someone who has lived there recently. There was an apartment which I'd have loved to rent but due to an amazing range of different opinions on the matter we waited too long and it got let to someone else. People who live there/have lived there - is it safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

So you don't want to hear from the people who are on the road everyday that have to deal with the junkies that are prevalent there. That in itself gives you no information?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    So you don't want to hear from the people who are on the road everyday that have to deal with the junkies that are prevalent there. That in itself gives you no information?

I would agree with this, it's an unpleasant street to walk on but you probably get used to it if you live there. I've lived on a similar street and I didn't notice the junkies after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lux23 wrote: »
    I would agree with this, it's an unpleasant street to walk on but you probably get used to it if you live there. I've lived on a similar street and I didn't notice the junkies after a while.
    He doesn't want to know unless you live there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KevinGossRoss

Haha. I'm sorry that came out wrong. I'm just trying to reach the people who live there, who go to the local shops regularly and who would be able to tell me about the area with less bias. Is the top of the street better than the bottom? Is there a nicer side of Marlborough Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The north end is much nicer from the Pro Cathedral/Dept of Education; quieter too with few buses. While I haven't lived on the actual street, I've spent about 15 years (5 years for school and 10 years living, up to about 10 years ago) going up and down at least some part of it pretty much daily and at all sorts of hours, I've never once had any hassle on it. Nevertheless you would need to have your street-wise hat on, as with most inner city areas. As for junkies, I've never found them to be more than a minor irritant if you either ignore them or give them a 'nah, sorry.'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Years ago (before the word junkie was even mentioned in Dublin) I lived in a top floor flat just up from the junction with Lr. Abbey St. If you had a bedroom to the back it was fine but a bedroom on the street front was noisy.
    Street cleaners early in the morning, a mini bus terminal as the busmen went to the breaks in the CIE club at the back of Clery's and of course people coming from the pubs and clubs roaring and shouting.

Maybe if there was something up past the Pro Cathedral it would be quieter as there is no buses on that route.
    Advantages of course was 5 mins to work, no taxis, handy for the pubs. And of course female "friends" often stayed over when there was no taxis and buses stopped at 11.30. This had some fringe benefits.

Even now it wouldn't be bad just to be a little bit more careful at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is this Marlborough street off oliver plunkett street?

Should be grand if you like city center I'd say. Couple of nice wine bars around. South mall very close for a lot of bus routes. No parking though, but that usually doesn't matter in the city center anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KevinGossRoss

There's an apartment in Marlborough Court I'm interested in. It's across the road from DIT. Could my girlfriend realistically walk home from work at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

pwurple wrote: »
    Is this Marlborough street off oliver plunkett street?

Should be grand if you like city center I'd say. Couple of nice wine bars around. South mall very close for a lot of bus routes. No parking though, but that usually doesn't matter in the city center anyway.

I think thats Cork. The OP is asking about Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

EB_2013 wrote: »
    I thinks that Cork. The OP is asking about Dublin.

Hmm. No mention of dublin in post or title, and it's not the dublin forum. Must be dublin alright! :0)

• Advertisement
Advertisement