Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topshop Query

Options
  • 10-09-2013 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having another issue with online shopping and refunds.

I purchased something from Topshop online and and had to return it, so I returned it and the first time I returned it Topshop never picked it up in the UK so Royal Mail then returned it to me so I then contacted Topshop and they said to return it and they would see about refunding me the return post due to it being their fault for not picking it up in time.

So I returned it again last week and they collected it this morning and processed my refund, however, they didn't refund any postage costs.

I know that if you are returning something that's not incorrect or faulty you are responsible for the return postage costs, however, I am wondering, are Topshop in any way responsible for reimbursing me for any return postage due to the fact I had to return it twice because of their error of not collecting it the first time?

The return postage was about €20 for both returns, which is more than the items cost so I'm a bit annoyed.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK, if I understand it correctly, they refunded the first postage cost (as they didn't collect). You then posted again, and they refunded the item, but not the postage.

To me that sounds correct. They are not obliged to cover postage in the case of change of mind. Yes, the return was a little more hassle than was desirable, but they are not obliged to cover the second round of postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

dudara wrote: »
    OK, if I understand it correctly, they refunded the first postage cost (as they didn't collect). You then posted again, and they refunded the item, but not the postage.

To me that sounds correct. They are not obliged to cover postage in the case of change of mind. Yes, the return was a little more hassle than was desirable, but they are not obliged to cover the second round of postage.
    No, they didn't refund any postage costs at all, I should have been clearer, apologies.

I do understand that they aren't responsible for return postage costs but is there any law/legislation that means they are responsible for reimbursing any postage costs as it was their error that I had to return twice because they didn't collect the item the first time. Or is it good will on their part if they do refund any postage costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You sent it by post to an address, correct? So why would TopShop have to collect it, should not be delivered to them? If that's the case surely it's Royal Mail who are a fault? Or was the address wrong?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You sent it by post to an address, correct? So why would TopShop have to collect it, should not be delivered to them? If that's the case surely it's Royal Mail who are a fault? Or was the address wrong?
    I did yes, but it is Topshop who have to collect it from the location that was on the returns docket they provided with the order.

I assume this was because the return address is for Arcadia, who own Topshop and other high street stores, so all returns are sent to the one address maybe and then each company collects their returns?

When I phoned Topshop customer care they advised me that they collect returns from the collection point every two weeks.

The address was correct, I printed off a returns label and sellotaped it to the envelope so if the address was wrong, then it isn't my fault, as I got the returns label from their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In my opinion, they should refund the cost of the first postage, as it was their error in collecting that lead to it being returned. You should not be out of pocket twice.

• Advertisement

I emailed Topshop, clearly explaining and pointing out their error and they emailed back saying they don't cover postage costs.

I do understand that they don't cover postage costs, however how is it my fault that I had to return the items twice? They didn't collect the item the first time, so because of their error I had to return it twice.

Is there any law/legislation that I can point them in the direction of over this whole thing?

I'm becoming more and more annoyed at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I emailed Topshop, clearly explaining and pointing out their error and they emailed back saying they don't cover postage costs.

I do understand that they don't cover postage costs, however how is it my fault that I had to return the items twice? They didn't collect the item the first time, so because of their error I had to return it twice.

Is there any law/legislation that I can point them in the direction of over this whole thing?

I'm becoming more and more annoyed at them.

I'm not aware of any explicit law on this as you returned the item due to change of mind (yes?) so it might be up to a judge to rule on.
    I would expect that a reasonable thinking person would deem the item returned once it was delivered to the address they provided and would then be entitled to your refund. If they failed to collect the item from their address should be of no consequence to you.

It appears to be an unfair business practice so perhaps you could contact the UK's Trading Standards and ask them to look into this, they don't like unfair business practices.

It may help if you have proof it was delivered to the correct address the first time?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I'm not aware of any explicit law on this as you returned the item due to change of mind (yes?) so it might be up to a judge to rule on.
    I would expect that a reasonable thinking person would deem the item returned once it was delivered to the address they provided and would then be entitled to your refund. If they failed to collect the item from their address should be of no consequence to you.

It appears to be an unfair business practice so perhaps you could contact the UK's Trading Standards and ask them to look into this, they don't like unfair business practices.

It may help if you have proof it was delivered to the correct address the first time?
    Thank you.

I sent the item via registered post both times and have both receipts so will be looking into this more.

Many thanks for your response.

Advertisement