Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

live streaming : where to get the uplink?

Options
  • 10-09-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

A general question which hopefully I'm posting to the appropriate forum.

Imagine I want to stream a live event from a field somewhere in the country. I need a video camera and a way to upload the live stream to streaming server. What sort of a broadband connection could I use? 3G wouldn't have the bandwidth would it?

How do the likes of AerTv uplink their live streams?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

DannyD wrote: »
    A general question which hopefully I'm posting to the appropriate forum.

Imagine I want to stream a live event from a field somewhere in the country. I need a video camera and a way to upload the live stream to streaming server. What sort of a broadband connection could I use? 3G wouldn't have the bandwidth would it?

How do the likes of AerTv uplink their live streams?

Thanks.

I've done a lot of streaming from random locations. You can stream an any upload but for something watchable I personally would say the bare minimum you want is a guaranteed 1 mbit of upload bandwidth with no contention (def don't let anyone at the event use the same connection). 3G is capable of the required speeds but the problem is it may not be reliable and you will get contention at the tower as well from other 3G users. There is an expensive unit you can get that takes multiple SIM's and lets you split the video over multiple carriers and reassemble it at the far end which is a good solution if you can afford it.

I would say Aer TV have a datacenter with satellite for video feeds, hardware video encoders and a big net connection.

What you need to do a decent job:-
    Camera
    Computer
    Way to input camera feed to computer
    Software to encode and stream
    Streaming CDN (Streaming Server)
    Net connection

Make sure the computer is only doing encoding and nothing else, if you spike your CPU you will drop frames and or hurt quality.

If you have more context may be able to advise better. If this is just you and some of your mates you could stream it off an iPhone using Live Streams app.

Advertisement