Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unix inventor - Wicklow?

Options
  • 10-09-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm doing some historical research into one of the inventors of Unix who may have lived in/near Greystones or Wicklow in the early 80s - anyone in here have any ideas? And yes I have searched every imaginable permutation :)

Thanks,

Hugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Which one of them? Ritchie? McIlroy? Thompson?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson co-created Unix, and don't see any info of them living in Ireland. During the 1980's, they were in the US, and got awards from a US based society called ACM.

/edit
    Douglas McIlroy was a visiting lecturer at Oxford University from 1967 to 1968, but can't see any mention of him or Joe Ossanna ever living in Ireland.

What information are you basing your query against?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

the_syco wrote: »
    Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson co-created Unix, and don't see any info of them living in Ireland. During the 1980's, they were in the US, and got awards from a US based society called ACM.

Well, McIlroy wrote the original Requirements Document for Unix - I have a copy up on my office wall! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Hi, I'm doing some historical research into one of the inventors of Unix who may have lived in/near Greystones or Wicklow in the early 80s - anyone in here have any ideas? And yes I have searched every imaginable permutation :)

Thanks,

Hugh

You're not giving us a lot to go on. Which inventor?

Advertisement