Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed re storage heating

Options
  • 09-09-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am looking for some advice on heating a small business. We have 4 rooms, each have old storage heaters intalled . Last winter ,as advised by the landlord we left them turned on at the wall over night to charge and during they day they gave off a small amount of heat but we frequently had to ' boost' them as the heat was not sufficient.
    The result was an electricity bill for more than €750 for 2 months usage and we were still far from warm.Our lease is short term so we are not in a position to up grade the heating system
    Could we intall some sort of programmable wall plugs that would just start charging in the latter part of the night?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

I am looking for some advice on heating a small business. We have 4 rooms, each have old storage heaters intalled . Last winter ,as advised by the landlord we left them turned on at the wall over night to charge and during they day they gave off a small amount of heat but we frequently had to ' boost' them as the heat was not sufficient.
    The result was an electricity bill for more than €750 for 2 months usage and we were still far from warm.Our lease is short term so we are not in a position to up grade the heating system
    Could we intall some sort of programmable wall plugs that would just start charging in the latter part of the night?
    Any advice is greatly appreciated

You can buy plugs with time clocks on them. but you would have to make sure they are rated correctly for the draw when the heater switches on. If you have them running for shorter period at night is it possible you may have to boost them earlier in the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Farho heaters are on-demand, very responsive & economical to run. They are also thermostatically controlled so they switch themselves off once the desired room temperature is reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 waterdragon

Froststop wrote: »
    You can buy plugs with time clocks on them. but you would have to make sure they are rated correctly for the draw when the heater switches on. If you have them running for shorter period at night is it possible you may have to boost them earlier in the day?

Thanks .Any idea where I would get them and what I am looking for in terms of rating?
    Is there any smart aps that can control things like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Thanks .Any idea where I would get them and what I am looking for in terms of rating?
    Is there any smart aps that can control things like this ?

You need to get the amps rating for the heaters.

I would think they could also be controlled by boiler time clocks. Your electrician could advise on amp ratings etc. Maybe a climote or text on system could be used to allow remote control through a smart phone.

I would talk to your electrician would be easiest IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dantanian

Hello,
    Faro heaters would be the most economical solution id imagine! They use only a fraction of the Electricity of a conventional storage heater and the Xana Plus model is fully programmable with a built in Thermostat which switches them off when the room gets to whatever temperature you have it set at.

I have 2 No. 13 Panel Xana Plus heaters left over from a project which i am looking to sell. I have installed one in my own apartment and am impressed with it so far. I can send photo's if you require.

You can have a look at the heaters at the below site.

http://www.prismelectrical.ie/farho-xana.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement