Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting reading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Very interesting.i first became aware of gobleki teke a couple of years ago and find it facinating..imagine thousands and thousands years older than stone henge/pyramids..with so little in the way of dateable finds how exactly does he date the complex? And with such intricate carvings surely they had metal tools?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

An interesting blog.
    Anything that challenges the Three Age chronology is interesting. There are striking parallels with Mike Parker-Pearson's recent work on Stonehenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

It's a fascinating site/story.

It does of course attract all the crackpots too, speaking of which I recently watched the Nat Geo documentary on Gobekl Tepe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JfbV21weQE which is 50% archaeology 50% schmooze.

My money is on the aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

I've been dreaming of visiting Gobleki teke since I found out about it a few years ago.The fact that it pre-dates the use of metal tools is interesting,however I noticed that,according to Witchburners link,that carved pillers are made of Limestone. I did'nt realize how soft limestone was until the other day,when I had to cut some slabs for a fireplace hearth.The angle grinder sliced through like butter and I got rid of the grinder marks[on face edge] using P.40 sandpaper, which I also used to successfully round off the corners to create a rolltop edge.
    Could these early carvers' have used say a diamond or other hard stone- set into the end of a hardwood stick together with a simple wooden mallet?

SB - thanks for alerting me to the new discoveries that are being made at Stonehenge by Mike Parker-Pearson and others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

wayoutwest wrote: »
    I've been dreaming of visiting Gobleki teke since I found out about it a few years ago.The fact that it pre-dates the use of metal tools is interesting,however I noticed that,according to Witchburners link,that carved pillers are made of Limestone. I did'nt realize how soft limestone was until the other day,when I had to cut some slabs for a fireplace hearth.The angle grinder sliced through like butter and I got rid of the grinder marks[on face edge] using P.40 sandpaper, which I also used to successfully round off the corners to create a rolltop edge.
    Could these early carvers' have used say a diamond or other hard stone- set into the end of a hardwood stick together with a simple wooden mallet?

SB - thanks for alerting me to the new discoveries that are being made at Stonehenge by Mike Parker-Pearson and others.
    Link on MPP's work.
    and a (non-academic) link on carving soft stone with stone age tools.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interesting article. This part stands out as a little bit odd though; "The temples thus offer unexpected proof that mankind emerged from the 140,000-year reign of hunter-gatherers with a ready vocabulary of spiritual imagery". I'd disagree. Cave paintings predate even this by tens of thousands of years.

Spiritual imagery didn't just appear from nowhere at this site. Cearly there was a deep history of symbolic thought and representation in our species(and possibly previously). This site marks the earliest so far found of the innovation of making such imagery out of monumental stone, rather than the previous use of the living rock in caves and cliffs. They built their own caves and cliffs. I further suspect that out there somewhere there is an even earlier smaller version of this.

On the idea of the temple begat the city I like that theory. Makes sense too. A more solid extension of a hunter gatherer tribe with a large roaming area but with a sacred cave site at it's cultural and spiritual heart. It seems to us that staying put, laying down roots and farming is a better bet for humans, but in many ways it's not. Yes population goes up, but with that so does infectious disease, diet often becomes more restricted and when you're no longer mobile the risk of famine and exposure to other disasters is hightened. Our need to go walkabout would have been a hard one to fight. A strong belief in deities rooted to one spot might have been the stronger force. Plus more people around you means that more and more it becomes more difficult to wander "over there" because there are already people there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hi Folks,

Watched a documentary about the place a few months ago, apparently the villages that housed the workers who built the temples are around 3000 years older than the monument itself.

13,000-15,000 years ago.

Thats in the middle of the last Ice-Age.

Perhaps people like Graham Kancock are correct after all,

Perhaps civilization is much older than we assume!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

This report offers some astro-archaeological observations in relation to the alignment of the T shaped pillars and certain stars.It also suggests links between the carved imagery and this 'star worship'.
    Contains a few good pics and site plans as well.

****** can't seem to attach article !...its called 'gobekli tepe -its cosmic blueprint revealed' and you can find it on www.andrewcollins.com. [in 'articles' section]

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Witchburner

http://alternativearchaeology.jigsy.com/Japan

There's a wow factor to some of this stuff - Interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Witchburner

I know this is out there a week or so but it makes for a good head scratching session - and some folks might have missed it:

http://news.sky.com/story/1143906/

Relates to recent experiments and the discovery of "alien" bugs in our atmosphere - testing the origin of the origin!

Its quite short BTW.
    British scientists believe they have found small bugs from outer space in the Earth's atmosphere.

Tiny organisms were discovered by University of Sheffield experts on a research balloon they had sent 27km (16.7 miles) into the atmosphere during last month's Perseids meteor shower.

The microscopic bugs were detected when the balloon landed back on the ground in Wakefield, West Yorkshire.
    Biological entities Bug number two: researchers say they are confident in their findings

But the scientists insist the samples could not have been carried from the Earth's surface into the stratosphere - the second layer of our atmosphere, which stretches up to 50km (31 miles) from the ground.

Strict tests were taken to avoid any contamination, they said.

Professor Milton Wainwright, who led the team, said: "Most people will assume that these biological particles must have just drifted up to the stratosphere from Earth, but it is generally accepted that a particle of the size found cannot be lifted from Earth to heights of, for example, 27km.

"The only known exception is by a violent volcanic eruption, none of which occurred within three years of the sampling trip."

He went on: "We can only conclude that the biological entities originated from space.

"Our conclusion then is that life is continually arriving to Earth from space, life is not restricted to this planet and it almost certainly did not originate here."

The findings are to be published in the Journal of Cosmology.

"If life does continue to arrive from space then we have to completely change our view of biology and evolution," Prof Wainwright added. "New textbooks will have to be written."

He said further "crucial" tests on the samples are planned and researchers will carry out further experiments during a meteor shower in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

This isint new.this idea of life arriving from space has been going around for years..dosent prove these organisms came from space either..im proposing that these organisms have always been there living reproducing evolving and being *undetected* til now...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rener

I didn't read long after German waves his hand over 40 Kurdish diggers. The Anatolia region of Turkey is heavily dominated by Güneydoğu Anadolu Projesı (GAP) project water-management and dam project.

there are many places that should be examined by archaeology experts but they will have to learn to hold the breath for a long time :)

Advertisement