Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solar panels

Options
  • 09-09-2013 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all, i am building a new house and our architect told us that we could save room in our house by putting all our boilers, solar panels, water storage etc in the garage rather than the house. is this a good idea or is it going to cause a loss in heated water as it travels toward the house? the garage will be about 10-15 foot away from the house. also is it better to have the solar panels on the house or does that matter? all information you can give me is welcome as i am very naive about this kindof stuff. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

nmcn wrote: »
    hi all, i am building a new house and our architect told us that we could save room in our house by putting all our boilers, solar panels, water storage etc in the garage rather than the house. is this a good idea or is it going to cause a loss in heated water as it travels toward the house? the garage will be about 10-15 foot away from the house. also is it better to have the solar panels on the house or does that matter? all information you can give me is welcome as i am very naive about this kindof stuff. thanks

I would keep the hot water cylinder in the house. The rest could go in the garage if need be. Otherwise you will have a long dead leg of cold water when you open a hot tap before the hot water arrives. It will save the need for a secondary return on your hot water cylinder.

The solar panels also need to be as close as possible to the hot water cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nmcn

thanks froststop i appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

i second froststop

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

nmcn wrote: »
    thanks froststop i appreciate the help!

One other thing, I would keep a storage tank for toilets in the attic. If you put a domestic tank in the garage you will need to pump it into the house. If you have a power cut or a fault with the pump, you will still have some storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Second everything there. A cylinder 15 foot away from the house is not good practice. You would need a secondary return circuit which add's to installation costs and running costs. If it was next to the house you would get away with it.

You've got to love architects:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 nmcn

thanks all, i really appreciate all of your input! :)

Advertisement