Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any software developers here?

Options
  • 09-09-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

So I've been working on a project to help cut down the work/study needed to select my picks for my football betting this season. I havent bet with it yet this season as I usually give the season 5/6 games to get a bit of form data.

I have used it previous seasons to great success but its a time consuming process so I am looking to get this process automated so I can make a decision on my picks. The current set up is multiple spreadsheets tracking different data points

I need some help to bring in live current season data to compare against the data in the spreadsheets to spit out potential picks/value picks

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested or who may have a similar set up at the moment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

blocparty wrote: »
    So I've been working on a project to help cut down the work/study needed to select my picks for my football betting this season. I havent bet with it yet this season as I usually give the season 5/6 games to get a bit of form data.

I have used it previous seasons to great success but its a time consuming process so I am looking to get this process automated so I can make a decision on my picks. The current set up is multiple spreadsheets tracking different data points

I need some help to bring in live current season data to compare against the data in the spreadsheets to spit out potential picks/value picks

I look forward to hearing from anyone interested or who may have a similar set up at the moment

I'd be very interested to see what you come up with. Always looking for ways to do this myself. I like a gamble, but it's only for a bit of craic so I hate spending time making selections. I've written some code from time to time to do pretty basic tasks, but I'd say you'll be better off waiting for someone else to come forward as my coding skills are pretty basic. Something which I hope to improve on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

L'prof wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to see what you come up with. Always looking for ways to do this myself. I like a gamble, but it's only for a bit of craic so I hate spending time making selections. I've written some code from time to time to do pretty basic tasks, but I'd say you'll be better off waiting for someone else to come forward as my coding skills are pretty basic. Something which I hope to improve on though.

yeah my skills are basic as well so it probably is best to wait for an expert instead both of us fumbling for months trying to do something that would probably take someone with the skills and passion for coding a matter of days

id be more than willing to publish results with the board should I get it up and running with the help of some great boardsie!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

been down this route before and it hasn't worked out, want to work with some in ireland who is passionate about the subject

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

What leagues and what kind of bets are you looking for?

Because it might already be there.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    What leagues and what kind of bets are you looking for?

Because it might already be there.

i was doing it for the big 5 leagues as that has the best current season stats to input in.

the kinds of bets vary from traditional 1 x 2, handicaps, over and unders

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

i was doing it for the big 5 leagues as that has the best current season stats to input in.

the kinds of bets vary from traditional 1 x 2, handicaps, over and unders

In that case you probably can save yourself some time and use this http://www.soccerstatstracker.com/

gctest50 wrote: »

thanks will take a look!

inforfun wrote: »
    In that case you probably can save yourself some time and use this http://www.soccerstatstracker.com/

no mac version so will have to wait to see and check it out

but judging from the info on that page it looks like I am covering at a different set of data points in addition to the ones they use.

i should have said that this is an adapted stock market analysis theory for the sports world so its quite complex and looks at information from a different POV to the traditional form and history data

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

no mac version so will have to wait to see and check it out

but judging from the info on that page it looks like I am covering at a different set of data points in addition to the ones they use.

i should have said that this is an adapted stock market analysis theory for the sports world so its quite complex and looks at information from a different POV to the traditional form and history data

So you're looking at the movement of prices? etc.
    You could try BetAngel, they have a 2 week trial and you can hook up the software to Excel. I use it a lot and use it a lot for trading. Haven't done a straight bet in about a year thanks to it, just use it to find trades now.

So you're looking at the movement of prices? etc.
    You could try BetAngel, they have a 2 week trial and you can hook up the software to Excel. I use it a lot and use it a lot for trading. Haven't done a straight bet in about a year thanks to it, just use it to find trades now.

yeah so the price tracking is one element of it, so I watch the difference in price movements between european bookmakers and then look at the Asian handicap markets and the las vegas lines for movements to alert to any changes. this is the technical analysis part of my trading system, if you are familiar with stock market trading terminology

But what I also look at is fundamental analysis of each team. so looking at the usual things like form, previous history, injuries and their impact but I also developed about 20 other different parameters in which to analyse a team and a fixture. so looking at things like league position as a bearing in a match among others

does betangel give you %'s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

does betangel give you %'s?

Yea, I get ya man.
    BetAngel will only give you predicted chances based on the market, it actually doesn't take into account form, suspensions....I suppose the reason being that the market has already reacted to these things and the prices are set because of reaction to the changes, or form, etc.

I wouldn't dream of trading a match until the team was announced....wish I knew that a couple of years ago when I started out :o

If ya head to betangel's tv channel (http://www.betangel.tv/videos/trading-on-football-soccer) you'll see how they do it. They also have a youtube channel with tons of videos.

Also the first video on the top right shows how movements can be tracked in Excel inplay.....the spreadsheet is available on the forum, so register and you should get it....if ya can't find it let me know and I'll dig out the link.

Other videos show how to link to Excel etc.

Personally I think it's worth the betangel subscription and I only trade football, trying to learn more about the nags, but I dunno, I just find it impossible to become interested in it.

Advertisement