Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid Meteor + Vodafone + 02 + Three

Options
  • 09-09-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

I'm a Meteor Pay-As-You-Go customer and I really hate my mobile operator. I've found them to be shady in their dealings with me, and their customer service has been apalling in my experience. I would go to another operator, but I've heard that nowadays there is little difference between Meteor, Vodafone, 02, Three, etc.

As I'm almost always in a Wifi zone, I'd like to avoid the traditional mobile operators altogether and go with a service that operates over Wifi only, eg. Skype. One of my aims is to save money, and for that reason, I don't plan to shell out for 3G. I know that I'll have no service when not connected to a hotspot, and I'm prepared to put up with this.

I read online that I can buy a Skype number, and so be contactable from regular networks/landlines. But I'm wondering how realistic it is to expect to be able to retain normal services (calls to and from mobiles/calls to and from landlines/texts/voicemail) while avoiding the traditional mobile operators. When it comes to finding out any detailed information on stuff like this, I find Skype's website to be vague. I was wondering if anyone had any real-world experience of this.

Thanks a million in advance,

Hb.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

VoIP quality relies on your broadband connection, so if your on a WiFi connection at work it may work but I don't think VoIP is realistic for an alternative to mobile. It would be definately an alternative to landline however.

There's a list of providers in the sticky here which may help, its not just Skype offering numbers.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83973052

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As I'm almost always in a Wifi zone, I'd like to avoid the traditional mobile operators altogether and go with a service that operates over Wifi only

Set yourself up with a VOIP app and account to make outgoing calls over Wifi connection.
    Be aware that a lot of those connections are not very suitable for real time comms such as voice/video calls.

I have used Linphone for this and an account with freevoipdeal (there are many other providers) .... and when I make such a call my caller ID is my mobile number, so I receive call-backs on the mobile number.

So I get the benefit of a 1c per minute calls to mobile numbers and if the wifi connection is good no one is any the wiser.
    I do not use the VOIP for receiving calls on my mobile phone.

Doing this as a first step will allow you to gauge whether the wifi service is good enough for your purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Meteor, O2, Vodafone and 3 are actually the 4 infrastructural mobile networks. It's very difficult to avoid them!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 SwissRoll1982

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Meteor, O2, Vodafone and 3 are actually the 4 infrastructural mobile networks. It's very difficult to avoid them!
    And Emobile are a mugging shower of f##ktards

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

And Emobile are a mugging shower of f##ktards

Emobile and Meteor is owned by Eircom..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 SwissRoll1982

Mr. G wrote: »
    Emobile and Meteor is owned by Eircom..
    I wasn't aware of that but I would advise all to avoid Eircom like the plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well, basically four networks own and operate infrastructure:

Vodafone
    O2 / Telefonica (soon to be merged into Hutchison Whampoa i.e. 3, subject to regulatory approval)
    Eircom Group = Meteor and Emobile
    Three (Hutchison Whampoa)

Emobile's just a brand operated by eircom and it's run entirely on Meteor's infrastructure, which they own. It's a MVNO, but only sort of.

You've then got true virtual networks which have their own switching systems and other infrastructure but use the radio networks of one of the big-four players.

Tesco Mobile is using O2's network.
    PostFone is using Vodafone's network.
    Lyca Mobile is using O2 as far as I am aware.
    and Blueface mobile uses Three's infrastructure.

UPC are due to launch one too, I'm not sure who they'll cut a deal with to carry their service.

Advertisement