Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Russell or Farnham Estate

Options
  • 09-09-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

If you could stay in either for one night (as part of a couple) for a romantic night away which would you choose?
    Rooms, staff, service, dinner, bar all to be taken into consideration.
    Im not too pushed about spa/gym for what its worth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

both very different i think.

sliabh russell is old fashioned but a nice old fashioned,excellant sevice and two good restaurants.the bar is usually lively too with live music most nights. more of a homely feel if you get my drift.

farnham estate is very contempory with lovely bedrooms.
    food also great but a different atmosphere in this hotel compared to sliabh russell.more hip if thats what you are looking for.

both have great grounds to walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

blingrhino wrote: »
    both very different i think.

sliabh russell is old fashioned but a nice old fashioned,excellant sevice and two good restaurants.the bar is usually lively too with live music most nights. more of a homely feel if you get my drift.

farnham estate is very contempory with lovely bedrooms.
    food also great but a different atmosphere in this hotel compared to sliabh russell.more hip if thats what you are looking for.

both have great grounds to walk.

This really best describes them IMHO. To add, the Farnham would have a better restaurant downstairs for a more private dinner compared to the Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I gathered from the pics they were too different types of hotel.
    Farnham has the better restaurant though, you think?

We would be foodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Didn't find the food in Farnham to be anything spectacular. The breakfast in particular was close to being the worst I've ever had in a hotel. I thought it was a very cold, uncomfortable hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Didn't find the food in Farnham to be anything spectacular. The breakfast in particular was close to being the worst I've ever had in a hotel. I thought it was a very cold, uncomfortable hotel.
    Well, if youre mentioning it - I have to say that the brekkie in the Slieve Russell was one of the best I've had.
    I only live a few miles from the hotel (well... I live 1500km away, but the home place is a few km away!) so have been in it too often to count, but to stay there is actually very pleasant. Lovely rooms, really lovely. Just traditional old style hotel.

We didnt stay for food (well, had wedding food but thats mass catering to be fair) that time but went there for sunday dinner a different time and the others in the group were very happy but I got some well dodge lamb aka mutton. I did mention this to them and they were apologetic and as a consolation there was a free desert or something. Cant remember exactly but the professional way the staff acted does stick in the mind.

Never stayed overnight in the Radisson but know a few who did and all raved about the place. I think more for the modern rooms and that rather than the food which I never heard mentioned.

• Advertisement

From whats online, both places seem to get very good/great reviews re: food, with Farnham coming out on top from what i can see.

It looks like SR have nicer rooms though, but some people prefer that style and vice versa.

Which place has a nice bar/lounge? Comfortable seating, relaxed atmosphere ets etc
    (I see SR has real fire places so thats a definate plus) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Good offer for Slieve Russell here :

Two Night Stay For Two With Afternoon Tea and Golf from €150 at 4* Slieve Russell Hotel (Up to 56% Off)

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/dublin-special/slieve-russell-hotel-golf-and-country-club/26480951?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_253&a=1768

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've eaten in both. I'm not a local to either of them.

Farnham's down stairs food is delish. I've never had breakfast in either. Just often drop in for food etc when out on the bike. If you wanna sit in a nice area, chill and watch TV and maybe chat to other hotel guests or sit in front of a fire then the Russell is the better option. If you want some piece and quiet and wanna keep yourself to yourself then the Farnham.

Service in both places is grand. What you expect to get from hotels these days.

One thing I dislike about the Farnham is the car park if you don't wanna have someone else park your car. Dislike about the Russell would be the mass amount of kids running around on a sunday afternoon. But thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I've stayed in both hotels and would definitely rather the Farnham estate, it's a little different and I think that's what I liked about it, the s/r is a typical hotel, albeit a bit Warner/cosier so might be better for a romantic weekend away..

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

Slieve Russell by miles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Apologies for bumping an old thread but don't feel my question warrants a new one.

Have booked to stay in Slieve Russell next week and just wondering which of their two restaurants people prefer?

irish_goat wrote: »
    Apologies for bumping an old thread but don't feel my question warrants a new one.

Have booked to stay in Slieve Russell next week and just wondering which of their two restaurants people prefer?

OP here - just back from the SR we stayed there on NYE.

We ate in Conall Cearnach Restaurant - and it was devine. Everything was top notch for such a busy evening.

I thoroughly recommend the rack of lamb - possibly the nicest lamb i've ever had, and we eat out quite a bit in Dublin. It was THAT good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

For me it's Farnham all the way.

As an earlier poster pointed out they are by, very different hotels so it really depends on what you like. If you like it old school and being surrounded by OAPs, then go to the SR. If you like modern, the it's FE?

Ok, I'm being somewhat tongue in cheek there to make a point, but I stand built. I felt like I was on holidays with my parents when I went to the SR! Have eaten in both n more than one occasion and I don't get either the love for the SR or the hate above for the FE. For me again, FE wins hands down. Myself, the missus and her dad (they're Nordies) did Christmas Day dinner in the SR a couple of years ago. All of us felt it was awful. And it was ridiculously expensive for what we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Good to have found this thread... still undecided though :-/ Hoping to book a few days early next month & was looking at both of these hotels.. I was in FE for a wedding a few years ago but didn't stay there so didn't see much of the hotel..
    My preference is more the modern hotel but don't want a cold atmosphere although we do tend to like being in our own company when we go away.. Sitting sipping wine, chatting & eating good food.

We stayed in The Cavan Crystal last year & although it looks nice there was absolutely no atmosphere there at all... no ambience.

If I had a choice, we'd be going down to Seafield in Wexford. I love everything about that hotel but there is no availability when we are thinking of going.
    Any other opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for using this thread :)
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Had our wedding reception in Farnham and stayed there on twice apart from that. Staff are very friendly and atmosphere is very relaxed. Food is very good and breakfast is like a feast!! Have stayed at a few of the Radisson hotels in Ireland and always found them very good. Plus if you're celebrating a birthday or other occasion mention it when booking - the receptionist at the Radisson Limerick told us that so the last time we stayed in FE was for our wedding anniversary and we got a free upgrade to an executive suite :D

Another suggestion is Lough Rynn Castle near Mohill in Leitrim. A bit old world but great staff and the food in the restaurant is to die for. Happy choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

Ah thank you Red Fred. Have stayed in a few around Ireland too :) Always great to get a free upgrade ;)
    Will check out Lough Rynn Castle too :)

Advertisement