Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Why do you buy that comic?"

Options
  • 08-09-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I been into comics for a while. When I was about 18 a friend of mine got briefly into comics. The question he ask most was "why did I buy this comic instead of this one?" The question annoyed me as could not tell him why. I would just pick randomly and more often then not I be rewarded. I had more money at the time and wasn't really on the internet and had no real guide. I really would judge a book by it's cover.

Ten years later, I never really had anyone to talk to about comics. There is a guy in work who is in too them. His a collector type. He has hundred's of trade paper back books, but hasn't read most of them. He hates single issue's. Where always on a different time loop. Most of time I forgotten the story by time his read them and wants to talk about it.

Since I meet him, his always ask me for books to read. When I give him my picks he always as the same question "Why did you buy that one?". Again I don't really have an answer. His only read books from the big two and I gotten him onto indie books and Marvel/DC books that slip under the radar.

I guess what I'm asking is what's guides you when your buying a book?

I tend to follow the writer. If something is getting great reviews I will check it out. But I do tend to disagree a lot with reviews. I find Saga mixes two types of genre of I Don't like Space Sc-Fi & Fantasy. Plus it annoys me that the child is telling us this story from some point in the future which means she lives till at least she a teenager.
    Sandman bored me to tears and Preacher had some high points but felt it lost the run of itself along the way. I find Gheoff Johns is someone I want to like more as a writer. His run on Teen Titans was one of the first run's in comics that I fell in love with, his follow up with Superboy own story in Adventure Comics was very special. But then I read his event books (Crisis, Blackest Night) there just rubbish. Benids is kinda same thing. His work on Daredevil/ U Spiderman are outstanding. Then his avengers stuff has been more hit/miss. I been reading Uncanny X-Men but it's not wowing me or anything.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Writers, artists, recommendations from people, appealling concept, reviews - in that order. I also sometimes read stories that continue from stories I have liked - for example The Ultimates Volume 3 (which was a let-down) because I liked the Ultimates 1 & 2. Joss Whedon's X Men run because I enjoyed Grant Morrison's run which preceded it.

Currently very much enjoying Sandman, which I had looked at before and put down. Preludes & Nocturnes was only moderately good, but The Doll's House is excellent.

Advertisement