Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank service cost

Options
  • 08-09-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I phoned king span to get a service of our septic tank. They insisted on a credit card charge of €220 as their engineers don't take cash so I paid up.

The reason I wanted a service as there was a smell from the tank and it was due one anyways. Guy arrived opened up the blower pulled out a small bit of debris and changed a filter and 5 mins later he was gone! This debris was classed as a sanitary product but it was just like a small piece of string

Did I get a service - is this a service? I feel that I was ripped off €220 for 5 mins work even a consultant would blush with this charge for five minutes work.

Any thoughts would be most welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Contact them & ask them for a written method statement of how their systems should be serviced as per manufacturer's instructions.
    Also ask them how long is it estimated to carry out said service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Macaferri69

Hi DK

My sincerest sympathies. Been in the same situation many times in the past.

What you got was not a service at all, but an emergencycallout – they come, they fix the problem at hand (hopefully), they leave. I can only guess that your blower wasn’t doing its job and, luckily, the filter change sorted this, although there can be more than one reason for smells. How is it working now?

To get a service, they’ll want you to take out a servicec ontract, the cheapest of which is €250 approx. You take the contract out for 12 months, and the service guy comes around at the end of the period to do the service.If you have any emergencies before that service, then you still pay an emergency callout charge, but at a reduced rate to the €220 you paid.

You can pay for a pricier contract and get a higher level of attention, or a higher price still for all emergencies covered. But with that basic service level, if any remedial work looks like it’s going to take the engineer longer than an hour to fix, you’ll be facing more costs.

Don’t get me wrong –these units do need care and attention, but they often go wrong despite that, and the bills can be a real pain.

If you’re interested I can PM you with a few additional pointers, drawn from long and bitter experience. As I say, I’ve been there before, and you’ll likely be having this issue again.

Best of luck with that stink, anyway.

Advertisement