Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to RMAS

Options
  • 08-09-2013 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have applied for a place at RMAS. Is there anybody on here who went through the process and can tell me a bit about what it is like? I have looked at the BA website and it doesn't really divulge that much information.

How long does the process take? And realistically what are my chances of getting in? I do have British citizenship and had family in the BA although I know this only makes a difference if I want to join work in certain jobs.

Would I be better off posting on arrse.co.uk? I know there are plenty of threads on here but I've seen a couple of them turn sour and they didn't really lead to much useful information so I thought I'd try posting my own.

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have applied for a place at RMAS. Is there anybody on here who went through the process and can tell me a bit about what it is like? I have looked at the BA website and it doesn't really divulge that much information.

How long does the process take? And realistically what are my chances of getting in? I do have British citizenship and had family in the BA although I know this only makes a difference if I want to join work in certain jobs.

Would I be better off posting on arrse.co.uk? I know there are plenty of threads on here but I've seen a couple of them turn sour and they didn't really lead to much useful information so I thought I'd try posting my own.

Thanks for any replies

There's no doubt that arrse is THE place, but there is also no doubt that you'll get ripped a new one from the old sweats there. If you can absorb the mighty p1ss-taking and what passes for banter - first-time posters have been known to go away and put their heads in an electric cook-stove - NOT gas - and take it all with good grace and show that YOU too have a sense of humour, then you might get some good advice off the site.

I never went to RMAS, as I got commissioned from WO1 and therefore knew which fork to pick your nose with, and which knife to use for peas, but I DID deliver lectures there on my chosen subject, and hardly ever got beaten up.

All you have to do is to show that you are simply a better choice than all the others there at the same time.

Easy.

IF you are better than all the rest.

I sincerely wish you all the very best of luck - you'll certainly be needing it in vast amounts.

tac

PS - I post there, too, as you may have expected. If you know what my name is in Irish, then you can find me - this is NOT a test.

No, no, it's not necessary to say thank you. I'd do it for anybody taking such a giant step.

Mind you, it is said 'manners makyth manne', although not by me, obviously.

Or you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Not everybody checks this site everyday. Thank you for your help. Happy now?

Not everybody checks this site everyday. Thank you for your help. Happy now?

I lied.

That WAS a test. You failed. You wrote 'Thanks for any replies'. I replied in a helpful manner and you weren't there to fulfil your part of the bargain.

Instead, sixteen hours and seven minutes later, you finally respond with a sarcastic 'Happy now?'

Loads of luck on arrse.co.uk - they'll rip you to shreds inside five minutes there.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    they'll rip you to shreds inside five minutes there.

tac

Actually I've posted on there and everybody seems very helpful and quite friendly.

I sincerely apologise and thank you for your help.

• Advertisement

Actually I've posted on there and everybody seems very helpful and quite friendly.

I sincerely apologise and thank you for your help.

Hmph. Are you sure you've got the right site there?

Only kidding.

Take care, eh?

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

maybe hes on www.arse.co.uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Hi all,

Thanks for any replies

6 months, give or take 2 months depending on how many Potential Officer courses you go on with the different corps.

You're chances of getting in depend entirely on your personal qualities, and natural abilities.

discus wrote: »
    6 months, give or take 2 months depending on how many Potential Officer courses you go on with the different corps.

You're chances of getting in depend entirely on your personal qualities, and natural abilities.

Yeah on arrse.co.uk I was told 6 months to 5 years depending on how much they hold you back as in doing main board twice, a delay on even getting to main board and then waiting for a space to open up on one of the Sandhurst intakes. I hope it doesn't take me 5 years anyway!

As for my personal qualities I think that's the only thing you can't really practice for. As far as the fitness side of things go I can make sure I'm in good shape and pass that but hopefully I have the personality for the job although I'm sure tac probably won't think so since I failed his tests! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

They delay you if you need to finish a uni course, or if you're in need of a few years of maturing. Don't look at the extremes like 5 years, that's blatantly an outlier. I know of people who did AOSB briefing in April and ended up on the september intake, he was Irish too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement