Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closeted Well-Known Actor

Options
  • 08-09-2013 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

So, I've seen this circulating the web a few times now and was wondering if anyone here seen it. A well-known American actor has apparently posted under the name 'mylifeisalie123' on the confessions page of reddit. I'll leave ye read it yourselves to see what you think:

http://www.reddit.com/r/confession/comments/1jbom6/im_a_well_known_american_film_actor_and_im_a/

I know it's possible that it may be hoax (even though the Reddit CEO has apparently said it isn't) but it still makes me sad to read. It's a real shame, in a town like Hollywood (which when I visited it, it seemed pretty gay friendly) that an actor is afraid to come out because of what people will think of him and that it may affect he's career. His agent seems like a right pr*ck but he seems pretty influential too. I can see where's he's coming from though. I mean a lot of people have said Matt Bomer was turned down for the role of Superman because he was gay. It's a disgrace really!

What do ye think? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

It's really sad. I've often heard people say that gay actors can't be convincingly cast as leading straight men (because being gay must make them crap at their job of, you know, ACTING) but really I think it's because some people have this bizarre fascination with the sex lives of gay people. Those same people probably also look at someone like Matt Bomer and see a gay man, not a man who happens to be gay.

On the other hand, I do sometimes feel, as he mentions himself, that people who are high-profile and established in their careers would be doing an enormous service to the gay community by coming out. I wouldn't say I consider it an obligation, but at the same time I was bitterly disappointed when Jodie Foster couldn't (wouldn't?) use the words "gay" or "lesbian" to describe herself at the Oscars last year, despite the fact that the dog in the street knows her sexuality and it doesn't appear to have affected her career. If someone like her can't (or won't) come out and say it (no pun intended), how much harder would it be for a younger actor, not as established, who is expected to do the media circus and press junkets, and to provide headlines by bringing starlets with him onto the red carpet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 artanejin

Neil Patrick Harris does a fantastic job at portraying a straight man. Just saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

On the other hand Cam from Modern Family (Eric Stonestreet) a straight actor playing a gay man. Has been upfront with his fans from day one while being nothing but supportive for the gay community and his on screen partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Vojera wrote: »
    It's really sad. I've often heard people say that gay actors can't be convincingly cast as leading straight men (because being gay must make them crap at their job of, you know, ACTING) but really I think it's because some people have this bizarre fascination with the sex lives of gay people. Those same people probably also look at someone like Matt Bomer and see a gay man, not a man who happens to be gay.

On the other hand, I do sometimes feel, as he mentions himself, that people who are high-profile and established in their careers would be doing an enormous service to the gay community by coming out. I wouldn't say I consider it an obligation, but at the same time I was bitterly disappointed when Jodie Foster couldn't (wouldn't?) use the words "gay" or "lesbian" to describe herself at the Oscars last year, despite the fact that the dog in the street knows her sexuality and it doesn't appear to have affected her career. If someone like her can't (or won't) come out and say it (no pun intended), how much harder would it be for a younger actor, not as established, who is expected to do the media circus and press junkets, and to provide headlines by bringing starlets with him onto the red carpet?

I find it really sad tbh! But I really do think the actor should come out. Is it not a discrimination case if he gets turned down for a role for being gay? :o Then again, they'd probably just cover it up as him not being as good as the other applicants! :O It annoys me that in 2013 a high profile actor can't be open about his sexuality for fear of losing work!

Advertisement