Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Blades getting back together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Na theres not a ghost of a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

Probable gig in December, but don't think there'll be a full, er, reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Peter Visibility

No band should ever get back together. Ever. Anyone who has witnessed Black Francis vainly trying to look like he gives a f$$k about some of the greatest rock songs ever written on Sky Arts one will know what I mean. I love the Blades but the Pixies they weren't. This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time. It's hard to believe in this youtube, everything is available era that with some things you just had to be there.

No band should ever get back together. Ever. Anyone who has witnessed Black Francis vainly trying to look like he gives a f$$k about some of the greatest rock songs ever written on Sky Arts one will know what I mean. I love the Blades but the Pixies they weren't. This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time. It's hard to believe in this youtube, everything is available era that with some things you just had to be there.

If a band wants to do it and people want to see them then I don't really see what the problem is. Sure, it'll be different from their peak but that doesn't necessarily matter.

As regards the 'worst idea I've heard in a long time', The Script will probably continue to make recordings. That's a considerably worse idea.

Hippo wrote: »
    If a band wants to do it and people want to see them then I don't really see what the problem is. Sure, it'll be different from their peak but that doesn't necessarily matter.

This argument could be used to justify The Script releasing more recordings which we both agree is an appalling vista.

As for the reunions;
    These are supposed to be creative people, come up with a new name and some new songs to throw in the mix and stop using the good will generated from a glorious, distant past to sell tickets to a probably bleaker present.

I may have gone overboard on the worst idea bit but when you exclude everything except music it's still pretty bad.

• Advertisement

I suspect this argument won't really go anywhere - but creative people don't necessarily have to be endlessly and repeatedly creative, or producing something new. If someone at one stage of their life produced something genuinely good I have no difficulty with them reproducing that in performance at some other time, especially if there is an audience for it. If they have something new to display, then great. If not it's no big deal.

I would never have paid money to see a reformed Sex Pistols much as I enjoyed them first time around, but if others are happy to then that's fine, let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Nonsense. Delighted to see the Blades play again and an opportunity to hear all those brilliant songs live again. And I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Looking forward to this one. The standing tickets sold out in 2 days. I'd imagine there will be a second date added.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Still a few standing tickets in the Sound Cellar...

Hey, knock yourselves out. Why don't we fill all our venues with bands who broke up 27 years ago. If we'd only done that in 1977 The Blades would have never got a gig and we never would have witnessed their tuneful brilliance. I'm gonna go and watch whoever's on in The Workmans Club that night and I'll let you know how I got on. Maybe youse can catch their reunion show in 2040!

Here's my top five Blades songs;

1. Ghost Of A Chance
    2. Animation.
    3. Downmarket
    4. Chance To Stop
    5. The Bride Wore White.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

That's some mad reasoning you have there. I know quite a few people heading to this gig. None of us were around to see them in the 70's, most of us weren't born.

All of us are regular gig goers. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Still a few standing tickets in the Sound Cellar...

Thanks for the heads up. Got a pair there on Fri - sweet! Hadn't been in the place in years. Had forgotten it was a good place for "sold out" tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Is Tommy still in the Sound Cellar? I used to spend a lot of time in there

He is indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Manuel

Extra date now, the Saturday. Is this true?

That's what it says here and here alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

As for the reunions;
    These are supposed to be creative people, come up with a new name and some new songs to throw in the mix and stop using the good will generated from a glorious, distant past to sell tickets to a probably bleaker present.

I may have gone overboard on the worst idea bit but when you exclude everything except music it's still pretty bad.

Ah come on Peter, don't be such a grumpy old curmudgeon. As a long standing Blades fan who never saw them live I'm looking forward to it. And even if it is an exercise in nostalgia, so what ? I'd expect they will still sound good (it's not as if they're the 70 year old Rolling Stones) and if they make a few bob from it, who could begrudge them that ? They deserved to do much better when they were going first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Well anybody else at this last night ? It was superb. Paul Cleary and the band rolled back the years effortlessly. Hearing perhaps the greatest ever Irish pop/rock single performed live for the first time was an epic experience. I've never punched the air at a gig before, but by Christ I did last night, when it came to the line ..."I'm standing at a bus stop...." Fabulous.

I was there but while I enjoyed it, and the band sounded great, I didn't think Cleary seemed to be enjoying himself and I found the whole performance a bit lacking in energy and intensity as a result. Maybe the second night was better.

I couldn't disagree more! Second night was great as well, he was very relaxed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement