Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage and permanent employment

Options
  • 08-09-2013 8:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

Hi,

Just looking for peoples experiences who may have been in a similar situation. My girlfriend was unemployed for a period and started a full time permanent childminding job in May. She's there 4 months now and at the start was subject to a 4 week probation period, which is now obviously complete.

Although she's now permanent, will the bank still look for her to be in the job 6-12 months before giving us a mortgage?

I'm the main earner and have been in my permanent job 9 years.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

Hi,

Just looking for peoples experiences who may have been in a similar situation. My girlfriend was unemployed for a period and started a full time permanent childminding job in May. She's there 4 months now and at the start was subject to a 4 week probation period, which is now obviously complete

Although she's now permanent, will the bank still look for her to be in the job 6-12 months before giving us a mortgage?

I'm the main earner and have been in my permanent job 9 years.

Thanks

I'm afraid so worried mind
    If you are applying together both earners need to be in permanent employment 12mths but you may be able to apply as a single applicant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You need to be in permanent employment with the same employer for 12 months to be considered for a mortgage. OP can you not apply for a mortgage in your name only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Some banks will accept 6 months in current role with probation period completed.

killers1 wrote: »
    Some banks will accept 6 months in current role with probation period completed.

That's interesting killers1, I thought they all now require 12 months. I know permanent tsb changed from 6 months to 12 months this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Worriedmind

Interesting. We spoke to TSB who said "it shouldn't be a problem". We have since received a letter and cert of approval in principle.

I winder though will it become a much bigger problem for them when we formally apply next week?!

Killers, who are the other banks who look for 6 months? Has anyone been successful while being permanent for just less than 6 months?

• Advertisement

Interesting. We spoke to TSB who said "it shouldn't be a problem". We have since received a letter and cert of approval in principle.

I winder though will it become a much bigger problem for them when we formally apply next week?!

Killers, who are the other banks who look for 6 months? Has anyone been successful while being permanent for just less than 6 months?

Worriedmind, I checked with permanent tsb this morning and they confirmed 12 months continuous employment. They also have a huge backlog of applications and are taking approx. 1 month to process and give a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

ptsb's policy is that 6 months continuous employment is required as per their updated credit policy in June. They also have a tolerance to accept a shorter period if the overall profile of the application is strong. AIB & KBC will also consider applicants 6 months in a role with probation completed. With KBC you must either be 1 yr with current employer or 6 months & probation completed if you have been working for 2 full yrs without a break in between employments. ICS/BOI are the ones who are most strict on the 12 month rule but they will consider applications at approx. 10 mths..

Advertisement