Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worm Drive Circular Saw

Options
  • 07-09-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

After many years my trusty circular saw finally gave out and rather try and fix it I decided to treat myself to a worm drive version.

Been eyeballing them for a long time now but they are always on American sites I understand they are big over there compare to here but is there any European shops selling them? or will I best be buying from the states and pay customs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Yeah the Skilsaw 77 is pretty much standard issue for US framers. Have you ever used one? They are a probably very different to what you are use to.

Search this forum for a thread on getting tools over from the US, there was one a while back IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Yeah iv used one very briefly a few years ago I think the biggest plus was the left hand side blade and been a right handed was all the proof I needed really, I think it was a Bosch I tried out cant remember for sure.

Was looking at the Dewalt worm drive its $166 give or take but above £400 in the UK which I find crazy. Surely even importing it from the states plus customs will still round of cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 caz25

Hi

I have a Bosch wormdrive and I have used it for a good while... It is a bit different than using a "normal" one but after using it for a couple of minutes you'll be wondering why haven't you been using one all along... Great piece of kit. It is similar to Skilsaw Mag77 and I couldn't recommend them high enough. I say you should buy it from the States and pay shipping and maybe import charges and you'll still spend less than half the price they are charging in the UK. I remember also seeing an add a few years back for someone selling them here in Ireland. Worth searching it on Google...

Thanks caz25, yeah the prices from the UK are shockingly high.

I was using the Dewalt as a price example but iv read reviews saying it burns out quiet fast so Iv turned my attention to the Bosch/skilsaw or the makitas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What do you mean by worm drive? What advantage would it have over a standard circular saw?

• Advertisement

They are two types of circular saws worm drive and sidewinders,

The sidewinders are the one we mostly use, the motor is directly attract to the blade but in worm drives the motor is offset at 90 degrees using a worm drive assemble.

The advantages are more torque and blade been on the left side so no more leaning over to see the line.

Also since the motor doesn't protrude out the side as much as a sidewinder its easier to use with makeshift jigs etc without hitting anything.

Some say the disadvantage is the weight but that really cant be said much as they are now coming with magnesium parts but they still weigh a little more than sidewinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

jonon9 wrote: »

The advantages are more torque and blade been on the left side so no more leaning over to see the line.

Also since the motor doesn't protrude out the side as much as a sidewinder its easier to use with makeshift jigs etc without hitting anything.

Apologies if these are stupid questions!
    I see your point about the motor not protruding as far out as with a sidewinder, which would be an advantage for sure but why couldn't the blade be on either side with either type of drive?

Edit - I assume it's something to do with keeping the weight of the saw off the piece you're cutting off. It's Monday morning(ish) my brain isn't up to speed just yet!:D

It does help having the weight off the cut side but I say it's just been designed that way I'm sure there's other reasons as to why. Also with the worm drive you get a smaller base plate so handy for cutting in tighter spaces if need be.

Actually you can get both left and right handed versions of worm driven saws.

If I was buying I'd go for the one of the Skilsaw 77

I spent a year in the states working for a large scale framing company and as I said before the 77 was what all the carpenters used.

Here is a link to a US company that I have bought tools of in the past and I found them good service, range and price wise.

• Advertisement

Cheers mate, had you much luck with customs? Like I said it still rounds of cheaper than the Uk crazy ay?

Cheers mate, had you much luck with customs? Like I said it still rounds of cheaper than the Uk crazy ay?

I actually got the tools sent to a hotel that a relative, who was holidaying in the US, was staying at and the tool were then brought back in luggage.

I think customs are hit and miss, search the forums for other peoples experience of bring in all manner of goods. Something the size of a saw would probably draw customs attention though; although the US purchase price is so good compared to here or the UK, you'd still be better off custom charges included.

Il bet it would be harder to hide a circular saw in the luggage icon10.png

Il bet it would be harder to hide a circular saw in the luggage icon10.png

Well, if you're personally bringing the tools in your luggage its not really about hiding them; it would be impossible to do that.

I have brought back tools in my luggage from my latest three trips from the US.
    The last time I brought a bosch jigsaw, a Milwaukee reciprocating saw and various other bits and bobs that you just can't leave behind. Tools shops are like a woodworkers sweet shop over there!

I always travel through Shannon and when leaving the Terminal they have the Green/Red:Nothing to Declare/Items to Declare gates with a couple of Customs Officers.

The last time I returned a colleague traveling with me had a big DeWalt multi cordless tools box left up on the trolley; there was no way he could fit it in his suitcase let alone attempt to hide it, I was sure they were going pull him over; but they didn't bat an eyelid.

AFAIK with regard to airline passagers, going through Shannon at least, you can bring in a few tools as long as your not taking the piss(i.e. not bringing in volumes of the same tool for re-sale).

Thanks for all the info. One last thing have you any problem with the 50hz here rather then there 60z over there when it came to power tools? Did it make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Thanks for all the info. One last thing have you any problem with the 50hz here rather then there 60z over there when it came to power tools? Did it make any difference?

No it makes no difference at all

Hertz is the unit of frequency.

Here this relates to electrical equipment designed to receive current at 60hz only receiving current at 50 hz. The rpm will be lower and over heating may occur.

In practice though this doesn't seem to be a problem with hand held power tools that are intermittently used over continuous time periods that rarely exceed five minutes. However, if you were to supply the same current to a static piece of equipment that is left continuously running for a long time period then it may be an issue.

Great. Iv narrowed down my choices between the new skilsaw mag 77 or the Bosch version 8 1/4"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

jonon
    FYI
    Robert Bosch bought out Skil tools several years ago.
    The Skil 77HD, Bosch 1677M and Milwakee worm drive are true professional grade pieces of equipment as is a Mafell K85.

Good review:

http://www.deckmagazine.com/saws/wormdrive-saws.aspx

Iv just purchaced a Bosch 1677m so cant wait to bring her for a test cut rolleyes.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement