Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Second Choice Out Half

Options
  • 06-09-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

France could potentially break Sexton and leave us needing an international standard 10 ready to step in and fill the breach. Madigan was the best hope for this providing he was starting the big HC. The stellar performances of Gopperth may see him once again Leinster's second choice. With that in mind who should Schmidt turn to should fatigue lead to Sexton's form dropping or an injury?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Madigan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Keatley could be a very dark horse imo

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Madigan
    I agree but he need's to be starting some big HC games if his development is to continue and that may not happen now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    I agree but he need's to be starting some big HC games if his development is to continue and that may not happen now.

First off I think the "France breaking Sexton" thing is massively overblown.

Secondly, Madigan hasn't even played yet this season. Bit early to be worrying about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

At least wait till Madigan has played a game this season.

• Advertisement

Keatley is a good HC player but Im not yet sure if he has that extra spark needed. Then again he hasn't really had a proper go at the 10 jersey with ROG around. We will learn more about him in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

JJ's got this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Secondly, Madigan hasn't even played yet this season. Bit early to be worrying about this.

Completely premature. Sexton will start about 15 games for Racing by the start of the 6N. Nothing to suggest he'll be broken.

JG was great tonight but Madigan is still well out in front of Jackson and Keatley at the moment given Jackson's reported showing tonight. Keatley needs to deliver consistency. Hopefully he'll do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

For me, it's Madigan v Keatley, although I haven't seen too much of Keatley. I have been distinctly underwhelmed by Jackson in games that matter. Now that Madigan is free of Sexton, and Keatley of ROG, both should have a chance to state their case at HEC level.

Is Gopperth eligible :pac:

I was initially in that camp myself until Schmidt brought up his potential worries over Sexton's potential fitness come the buisness end of the season.

I agree that perhaps it is a bit early to be worrying. It was just that it occured to me earlier that Jackson really isnt up to it atm based on today's game and that really leaves Mads as the only option, barring Keatley coming out surprising me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    I was initially in that camp myself until Schmidt brought up his potential worries over Sexton's potential fitness come the buisness end of the season.

I agree that perhaps it is a bit early to be worrying. It was just that it occured to me earlier that Jackson really isnt up to it atm based on today's game and that really leaves Mads as the only option, barring Keatley coming out surprising me.
    Do potential worries over potential hypotheticals actually translate into worries?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Madigan is ahead of Jackson, who is ahead of Keatley atm.

But there's a month and a bit of rugby to play, a good run of form for any of them could move them into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Keatley was poor in Georgia at Tbilisi cup. I think exposure at Munster will have him found out. The more we see of him the poorer he will look. Fingers crossed for JJ down south.
    1)Sexton
    2)madigan
    3)Jackson
    4)keatley/JJ/paddy Wallace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Jackson was apparently very poor tonight. He's very young, but it worrying that he's still poor when he doesn't have Pienaar/Wallace/Murray pulling the strings for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Keatley was poor in Georgia at Tbilisi cup. I think exposure at Munster will have him found out. The more we see of him the poorer he will look. Fingers crossed for JJ down south.
    1)Sexton
    2)madigan
    3)Jackson
    4)keatley/JJ/paddy Wallace!

Think that will be the order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Madigan would be clear second choice at this point imo.

After that I think it's up for grabs between Keatley and Jackson. If Keatley can deliver as first choice in red I think he is more than capable of leap frogging Jackson this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Jackson was apparently very poor tonight. He's very young, but it worrying that he's still poor when he doesn't have Pienaar/Wallace/Murray pulling the strings for him.

Balance that out by saying he was very good in the Pro 12 final. Last night was poor but Im just balancing it out a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

CGD wrote: »
    Think that will be the order

Pretty sure Mike Ross would be ahead of Paddy Wallace:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

Based on last season it's Madigan's to lose but with some games still to be played in Rnd1 of the league you'd like to think it's wide open to see who'll be the reserve scrum half for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Given Madigan can also cover 15 well, I think that gives him an extra edge - not that he needed one - to be the second-choice 10 for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

To be honest I think the bigger question is who is Ireland's second choice scrumhalf. I think Madigan is comfortably our second best option at outhalf at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

Madigan is streets ahead of them all. Keatley just isn't international standard and never will be. He's an ok outhalf at HC level but that's it. And I know I'll be burnt at the stake for saying this but I have never seen anything to suggest that Jackson is going to be a superstar despite a lot of hype. In any big game hes usually disappointed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'd wait until Keatley has a run as 1st choice at provincial level before writing off his career chances. Still, already JJ looks the more creative of the two. That, to me, is the most intriguing thing about the new season for Munster. I don't think it's cast in stone that Keatley will be Munster's 1st choice 10 by the end of the season, which obviously changes the potential international pecking order.

I didn't see Jackon's performance last night so don't know how it went. My impression has been he's a great player ball in hand but his kicking goes from very good to awful. If that's a fair comment, I'm not sure it's good enough to be 1st/2nd choice.

So it's a clear Madigan for me - for this season at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

should clarify that I think Madigan is clear second choice. Although I'd have keatley over Jackson

Advertisement