Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Office Question - US Student

Options
  • 06-09-2013 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Heya. I'm not sure if this is the right section for this thread, i've looked around and couldn't find any similar threads so apologies in advanced.

I've searched all around the internet but can't find an answer to my question. Basically my friend is coming to study in Ireland from the US. She has a College offer of 4 years which she has accepted, and has a loan that covers the total fees of her college, has all her passport, and about 2000 euros. It says on the official immigration website that:
    NOTE 1: Students who intend staying in Ireland for more than 90 days are required to register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB). In addition to course fees, the student must have access to €3,000 at first registration with GNIB.

However I read on another website that:
    non-EU students are granted 30 days during which they may register with the GNIB

Basically what I wanna know is, considering she only has 2000 euros, will she have 30 days to register with the Immigration Office? Because by then, she'll have the money that she's missing. Or will she be required to show documentation proof that she already has the 3000 euros, as soon as she lands in Ireland?

Also, she will be living with me and therefore I will be helping her with the bills, and the rent as all expenses will be split. If she has to show the 3000 euros right away, can she show proof that I am "sponsoring" her and that I will financially support her? Would they let her in if she did that? I'm guessing the proof would be a bank statement, and my details? And contact number?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

If anyone could please shed some light onto this that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Your best bet is to contact GNIB directly (they have a phone number/email address on their site). Having dealt with them professionally I'd be surprised if there's a 30 day grace period, but rules may be more relaxed for students. Strictly speaking you're required to register with GNIB on arrival.

Likewise they can answer the question regarding finances.

Advertisement