Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with "Marvin" windows.

Options
  • 06-09-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi
    I am looking for anyone who has encountered issues/problems with "Marvin" windows.We have numerous serious issues with these very expensive american windows.Our complaints and correspondences over last two years have been more or less ignored.Am wondering if anyone can offer information re: their experiences with "Marvin".Thanks in advance of information/suggestions of where do I go from here ..???????am desperate.Guarauntee has now expired but was in operation when we first informed the company of all ath problems
    have we any legal standing??????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Who did you buy these windows from? And was the value of the purchase in excess of €2k?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 candistar

Windows supplied by Marvin .......and yes price was in excess of €2000

If the value was in excess of €2,000, then you cannot take a case to the Small Claims Court.

If you've been ignored, the next step is probably to think about getting a solicitor involved

• Registered Users Posts: 5 candistar

Thanks......we did attend local Citizens Information office.......their volunteer solicitor drafted a letter on our behalf which was ignored.................we are not really in a position to pay fees for a solicitor currently so looks like we are snookered and can do nothing...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP have you been in contact with their Irish Agent?

Marvin Architectural
    Stephen St.
    Dunlavin
    Co. Wicklow
    Ireland
    Tel: +353 045-401000
    Email: sales@marvin-architectural.com

If you get nowhere with them you should possibly contact the american company and let them know their agent has let them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

What kind of problems are you encountering, I have had these windows for about 5 years now, all ok so far touch wood - had to get a winding mechanism for one but bought that online.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If you get nowhere with them you should possibly contact the american company and let them know their agent has let them down.

This is probably a really good idea. American companies generally really do take customer service quite seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Bear in mind the claim needs to be in excess of €2000 rather than the initial purchase. If it's a repair that can be done within the €2000 limit you may still be able to use the Small Claims Court. I'm open to correction on that point but that's my reading of the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭overtime

We had some issues with their windows, the first window started going really black at the bottom, like the wood was rotting, we had this replaced about 3 years after installation. The service guy said seals at the bottom were letting water in (they now have a newly designed seal) and to leave the rest of the windows for a while and see how they progressed. Sure enough a few of the other windows started turning black at the bottom. When I did try to get through to Marvin nobody seemed to answer, I left quite a few voicemails with no reply. Eventually my wife sent an email and they did respond to that. The service guy came back to evaluate the windows and over half of them were effected - because it's over 50% they are going to replace every one of the windows and doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happylad

Hi ya. I put in Marvin windows around 5yrs ago and am.getting drafts in some of the sash windows at the seals.

Just wondering has anyone had this problem and if so was it rectified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 58acorn

Hi,

Has Candistar had a resolution to the Marvin window issues. We are only discovering similar issues with ours and are just outside the 10 year warranty...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Have a look at their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/MarvinWindows?fref=ts

Maybe if you post a message to them there, you may get a response?

Not saying to flame them in public or anything but maybe you could pm them (private message) with your lack of satisfaction with their Irish operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kilinick

Did you get your issues resolved. Was called out of the blue yesterday by a guy saying he handles warranties for Marvin in the Laois area. We got our windows 7 years ago and they have a ten year warranty. He offer do do a free inspection and fix any issues. We have only had minor issues.

He says that Marvin Architectural are pulling out of Ireland and he is checking in wth customers before that happens.

Can pass on his number if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

kilinick wrote: »
    Did you get your issues resolved. Was called out of the blue yesterday by a guy saying he handles warranties for Marvin in the Laois area. We got our windows 7 years ago and they have a ten year warranty. He offer do do a free inspection and fix any issues. We have only had minor issues.

He says that Marvin Architectural are pulling out of Ireland and he is checking in wth customers before that happens.

Can pass on his number if you like.

I had marvin windows put in 4 years ago, I haven't received/heard any thing about them pulling out and their Facebook page is advertising upcoming open days and promotional events. Are you sure this guy is kosher?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

davo10 wrote: »
    I had marvin windows put in 4 years ago, I haven't received/heard any thing about them pulling out and their Facebook page is advertising upcoming open days and promotional events. Are you sure this guy is kosher?

+1 I'd be suspicious that that guy is a former employee or he has paid someone in the company for a customer list so he's going out now to tout for business. Companies don't actively invite customers to lodge warranty claims which is what this guy appears to be doing, it would simply open the floodgates for people who had niggling problems but were prepared to overlook them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kilinick

Hope he's Kosher. Rang Marvin. They are checking up on windows nearing the end of their warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

kilinick wrote: »
    Hope he's Kosher. Rang Marvin. They are checking up on windows nearing the end of their warranty.

Did they confirm they are pulling out of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shea10

candistar wrote: »
    Hi
    I am looking for anyone who has encountered issues/problems with "Marvin" windows.We have numerous serious issues with these very expensive american windows.Our complaints and correspondences over last two years have been more or less ignored.Am wondering if anyone can offer information re: their experiences with "Marvin".Thanks in advance of information/suggestions of where do I go from here ..???????am desperate.Guarauntee has now expired but was in operation when we first informed the company of all ath problems
    have we any legal standing??????????

Hi there,

I am experiencing the same problems and I think my warranty has also expired. Marvin are no longer trading in Ireland and I am in discussions with the USA at present. Did you ever get a satisfactory resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmc81

Similar problem here with issues cropping up just out side warranty period here.
    Just wondering did any get any resolve? Issues clearly existed before warranty expired but bad weather in the winter exposed them.

Anyone have any success getting repairs completed for such?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happylad

cmc81 wrote: »
    Similar problem here with issues cropping up just out side warranty period here.
    Just wondering did any get any resolve? Issues clearly existed before warranty expired but bad weather in the winter exposed them.

Anyone have any success getting repairs completed for such?
    Just wondering what issues you are having with the windows. I have mine in 7yrs now and so far so good. I have the margin integrity Windows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SOR2010

Hey guys we are having same problems with our Marvin windows and doors,
    Did you get it resolved?
    Marvin sent us a replacement Sash window and have offered a settlement on the door but it won't cover a new replacement,
    Have been trying to see if I can get it repaired but so far no luck,
    Thinking now I need to get a full survey on all my windows before the warranty is out....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

I'm in Laois and I never knew until now (June 2017) while reading these posts that Marvin are pulling out of Ireland.

I had 5 sash windows put in in 2005. They were suppose to be ''made to measure'' but they were not, and I didn't notice until I put the roller blinds back up and I had to have them cut down to size (with (size) was much shorter). I paid €12k for 5 sash windows in 2005, I still have my contract paper work. Within 2 years they were rotten and parts had to be replaced, they were so rotten you could poke your little finger through them but I kept them painted so they should have been ok, contacting them they wont answer phone calls or emails and I now have to save to get them all totally replaced. From day one it's difficult to open some of them, they are permanently stuck! Some of the brass handles have just snapped off/broke. They gave me 2 guarantees, one was for 10 yrs and the other for 20 yrs between glass and frames, within a week of them being installed I took them out (they can come out) to paint them, they came undercoated only as part of our deal, but part of the frame came off when putting them back in, I phoned them albeit after hours and I was told by the sales guy...quote...''go f your self!!''. I replied...''the HQ in Canada is open right now as per the time difference, I'll phone them and repeat what you said''. With in 2 hours they had a guy over to fix it for me so I could put the window back in.

Stay clear of Marvin, they are <SNIP>!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Glenbeighman

I have just come accross this thread.

We have Marvin windows throughout out house for about 15 years and the problems started about 10 years in. They have gotten a lot worse in the last 2-3 years. A major replacement will be needed in short term. A bit of a disaster to be honest.

Have been in infrequent contact with Marvin and have been getting nowhere.

Just wondering has anyone gone beyond the 10 year warranty period and had any joy in getting replacements or compensation etc?

Advertisement