Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Colour & Occasional Wobble Of The Moon

Options
  • 06-09-2013 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Hello there.

I was doing some recording tests of the moon a few days ago and noticed a wobble effect every few seconds while recording the moon.

Also, on the bottom left you can see a green halo and it seems that this wobble problem seems to start from there i think.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this problem in the video or if it's a specific setting that is causing it ?. I have tried every setting but cannot stop the wobble effect as this lasts for a few seconds then stops and is smooth, but the effect happens again.

I have the camera on automatic focus because manual focus is a real pain to deal with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Looks to me that you have a dodgy camera mount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Looks to me that you have a dodgy camera mount.

I'll try it again with the camera more solidly mounted, i still think the wobble effect every few seconds might be the camera itself, will test a few more times to track the problem down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Are you referring to the wobble that is resulting from the poor seeing/wobbly air of the evening? It's clear from the video that there the local seeing conditions are not the best, and there's a large shimmer of the moon's image due to either instability in the atmosphere, or heat shimmers from the immediate area (neighbourhood at ground level) around the camera.

To improve that, get to a large field away from carparks and roads and buildings to minimise causes of poor local seeing, and try to get weather conditions that are not unstable in the upper atmosphere.

I take it that the mount the camera is on is not driven?

The green colour looks like an artefact of how the chip is handling the overexposure of the brightest parts of the moon. Bleeding of bright objects is a known side effect of certain chip construction types. Combine that with the poor local seeing causing the brightness of the moon to vary a bit, and you may have the root cause of the majority of the camera-related artefacts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

zenno wrote: »
    I'll try it again with the camera more solidly mounted, i still think the wobble effect every few seconds might be the camera itself, will test a few more times to track the problem down.

Try the camera with no zoom analog or digital. that shake could very likely be attributed to an unsteardy mount, the affect will always be more pronounced depending on magnification/ zoom factor. Try testing indoors on static subjects, also dismount and try placing the camera on a large enough countertop/ table and test with and without zoom (no zoom and max zoom - intermediate settings are not really necessary for the purpose of testing)

The green fringing is likely chromatic abberation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

@ Popoutman
    Are you referring to the wobble that is resulting from the poor seeing/wobbly air of the evening? It's clear from the video that there the local seeing conditions are not the best, and there's a large shimmer of the moon's image due to either instability in the atmosphere, or heat shimmers from the immediate area (neighbourhood at ground level) around the camera.

Maybe it's just me but it doesn't seem like wobbly air or atmospheric, well i can see the bit of atmospheric movement but this wobble most notably of the left side of the moon is intermittent every few seconds, but it could just be a weird setting i have the camera set at.

I will go through the settings a bit more as i'm not 100% up to speed on all these settings.

@ slade_x

I'll definitely try what you said. I'll just set the camera back to defaults and try again. There is a hook in the middle centre of the tripod so i'll use a weight to ground it down to see if it stabilises it a bit more. thanks for the replies folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

What Slade_x said. Wobbling mount aggravated by zooming and chromatic abberation but good job still!

Advertisement