Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Algae on wood

Options
  • 06-09-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

I have a wooden shed stained with "Ronseal 5 yr wood stain", it had a lot of green Algae or whatever its called on it.

I used Algon to get rid of the Green stuff but there is still a white residue left, anyone know what that is and how to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

GS11 wrote: »
    I have a wooden shed stained with "Ronseal 5 yr wood stain", it had a lot of green Algae or whatever its called on it.

I used Algon to get rid of the Green stuff but there is still a white residue left, anyone know what that is and how to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

Power hose it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Just treated my shed a few weeks ago and Iv had the same problem, this is what I did.

Power washed the algae off, waited for the shed to dry then I sanded the back side (only the back had it) to get rid of the white areas
    Treated it with algon and when I finished that I put the wood preservative one.

I notice algae only grows on the side where the shed doesn't get sun or daylight even though there's a foot gap at the back, Algae seems to like to grow on the shady damp part.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Some timbers will clean up nicely washed down with a bleach solution. Just do a trial area first before you go at the whole lot

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Cheers guys.

Advertisement