Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can company reclaim domain after it has been purchased

Options
  • 06-09-2013 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hello

I have a question, the irish (.IE) domain is avialable for registration, but also there is company same name, can i safely register it? Can this company claim and take domain from me if they decide to register? I'm wondering because I have heard that rules for .IE domains in past has been little hairy, any short answer would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

In order to purchase a .ie domain, you need to prove that the domain name is relevant to you or your business.

You have to submit relevant documentation (headed paper, or RBN, for example) that supports your claim.

If the IEDR decides that you have some basis for ownership of it, and gives you the domain, then I don't see how the company could come after you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If it's a trademark/brand name they might have some grounds to make a claim on it (but it's also unlikely IEDR would give it to you), if it's a generic domain they'd have less so. If you register it in good faith, and have a legitimate use for it it would help your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the domain is registered the only way that it can be "taken back" is via the IEDRP (their version of a UDRP)
    See http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/cctld/ie/

As others have mentioned, a "generic" term is much lower risk.

If the term / company name is more custom it could be a problem

Advertisement