Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Fishing in Galway

Options
  • 06-09-2013 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Its years since I fished for mackerel and although I still have all the gear I cant remember anything about it. Is it still the case that the best time to fish is an hour before and after high tide. I am thinking about bringing the kids to one of the piers along the coast, perhaps Spiddal, and was wondering firstly if there is anything happening and secondly if it needs to be around high tide.

All tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Fished myself with the kids in Salthill this evening and there were loads of fish in but they didn't really get going until around 8pm. Tide obviously is due in later tomorrow so there may be less time before it gets dark and the rising tide certainly seems to be best, better depth of water too to avoid losing hooks in the weed.

One thing to watch out for if you have the kids is that it can get a bit manic with lines and hooks flying around. I had to run one individual this evening who literally walked over my rod while I was unhooking a mack to try to get fish while dragging six feathers behind him almost on top of my kids. He wasn't Irish so there were a few words exchanged before he tried to pile in on top of someone else, not knocking his nationality as there were plenty of Irish firing lines out too. In some respects the chaos is part of the fun especially if a big shoal is in but my experience is that Salthill tends to be the busiest.

Advertisement