Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

good price for an older specc'd machine - could probably be doing with a memory upgrade (should be cheap enough).

rem tho:
    - Not a full HD (but I find 768 acceptably on a 14inch display)
    - Not a full SSD (Only a cache drive) - but for theis price thats still good

Whats the intended use of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭epopnomis

So would I be right in saying that the operating system will be stored on the SSD which should speed things up? It'll be for general enough use. Itunes, looking at pics and internet surfing with a bit of office apps in the background...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Remember, it's not a "real" SSD (it only serves as write cache for a conventional platter HDD) and the "decent processor" is the ULV version, less power consumption but also less performance (comparable to a mobile Ivy Bridge Pentium processor). Having said that, 370 yoyos is a very good deal.

epopnomis wrote: »
    So would I be right in saying that the operating system will be stored on the SSD which should speed things up?

No, the operating system will not be on the platter HDD, you won't see the SSD in "Computer".

km991148 wrote: »
    an older specc'd machine

Older "specc'd"??? Ivy Bridge is as current as it gets. The Haswell Core i3 ULV processor has yet to be released.

• Advertisement

So is the SSD of much benefit, kinda would miss a DVD drive but the portability would be pretty good. I remember a few years ago buying a DELL atom processot netbook and its performance was really bad... Slow as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Torqay wrote: »
    Older "specc'd"??? Ivy Bridge is as current as it gets. The Haswell Core i3 ULV processor has yet to be released.

will take your word.. didnt look up the specific model.. just went on the fact that ivy bridge in general are on the way out

Didnt mean to sound too negative op, it is a great machine for the price!

So is the SSD of much benefit

Corrected my mistake in the previous post, I meant to say, the OS will not be on that SSD. IMHO, those mSATA drive caches should rather be advertised as what they are than as "SSDs", this way it looks just like a sales pitch. (There are workarounds to use a mSATA drives as a "regular" disk but by default they will not show up)

SSDs are not all about performance, in a laptop they add a great deal of robustness (no moving mechanical parts), by pairing them with a conventional platter disk that benefit goes out of the window.

Well took the plunge and bought it... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,845 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well took the plunge and bought it... :pac:
    I was thinking of getting this laptop too. Let me know how you get on and what sort of experience you get with saveonlaptops.co.uk

• Advertisement

Will do....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 GreenLamp

If i was getting a new laptop personally i wouldnt settle for less than 750gb hard drive, even add that i would be still buying a external hard drive for my films, itunes ect

We all have our preferences, haven't we? I'll take a solid state drive (regardless the size) over a platter disk any day. ;)

Well ordered on friday, received it this moning, great service from saveonlaptops...

Well ordered on friday, received it this moning, great service from saveonlaptops...
    Wow that's a good delivery time !! What's the laptop itself like ?

Yeah I was surprised too, over the weekend and all... Great service, laptop is great too. works like a dream...

Yeah I was surprised too, over the weekend and all... Great service, laptop is great too. works like a dream...
    Nice and quick ? What's the build quality like ? Any chance of a few pics ?

Yeah quality seems good, its nice and neat too.... Overall chuffed with it, will look at posting some pics shortly...

Yeah quality seems good, its nice and neat too.... Overall chuffed with it, will look at posting some pics shortly...
    Thanks for that. Think I will order one. Price gone up on it now though !!

Ah sure ya may as well. Normally I wouldn't go near hp but my opinion has changed after this purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement