Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gateway Student Village

Options
  • 06-09-2013 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Well lads!

Starting up in Gateway Student Village in a few weeks as a 1st year DCU student - have a few questions..

What are they like with overnight guests?
    What's the area like?
    Is the internet any good? I've heard it's rubbish but since then they've had new management I believe.
    Anything I should know?

and most importantly

Anyone staying in Apartment 12? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

They don't care if you have someone over, but if you make a lot of noise on a weekday (eg predrinks) security will kick everyone out at around 10pm.

The area is grand. Don't go to the Ballymun shopping centre, unless you're going for the cheap tesco paintstripper/vodka.
    I'm staying there for the second year this year, love the fact that there's a good gym/pool/sauna right across the road, the supervalu is also there, a couple of pharmacies close by, doctors behind the apartments and a gadai station to keep the area a little safer.

Last year the internet was ****. Like barely load up a youtube video in the evenings (peak hours I imagine). If you stay the weekend, when less people are around, the internet is pretty good, I've had it as fast as 20mbits/s. It's also decent i the morning/midday when everyone is in college.

Umm, not much else. I think the overall "experience" was pretty good, mainly because the apartments/rooms are indeed pretty good, it's well heated during the colder months (hopefully new management won't change that), and I had sound housemates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 artanejin

Puts my mind at ease :) thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

Have to agree with Nitsuj, the apartments are great and the security is also grand. Regarding the internet I heard they changed their internet provider during the summer so this should solve the problem.

megan2013 wrote: »
    Have to agree with Nitsuj, the apartments are great and the security is also grand. Regarding the internet I heard they changed their internet provider during the summer so this should solve the problem.

Grand job, I'd probably go a little insane without streaming the L Word every few nights. ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭SlickTalker

artanejin wrote: »
    Well lads!

Starting up in Gateway Student Village in a few weeks as a 1st year DCU student - have a few questions..

What are they like with overnight guests?
    What's the area like?
    Is the internet any good? I've heard it's rubbish but since then they've had new management I believe.
    Anything I should know?

and most importantly

Anyone staying in Apartment 12? :P

They are fine with overnight guests.
    They will give warnings if you make too much noise.
    Security guard wasn't there after the first month this year.
    Internet is awful. 2mb download speed and 3Gb download limit per day after that you are signed out for the day(a friend told me this) each time you go onto the browser you have to sign in again.

Also I heard that Pinergy is now installed or is getting installed in all apartments so you now have to top up your own account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 deebyrne

My fourth year in college and have to say i have never experienced a worse place a student could stay, Our apartment have had numerous problems throughout the year and the managers <snip> have been nothing but obnoxious, ignore all call and texts regarding any issues we have had. Gate locks at 10pm to ensure nobody else bar one person can get it, leaving you to use a turn style, however if you come up with a suitcase or large bag after 10 you will seriously struggle to get into your apartment. Cant stress how poorly I was treated by <snip> and how ignorant they are. I would avoid this place at all costs.

deebyrne wrote: »
    My fourth year in college and have to say i have never experienced a worse place a student could stay, Our apartment have had numerous problems throughout the year and the managers <snip> have been nothing but obnoxious, ignore all call and texts regarding any issues we have had. Gate locks at 10pm to ensure nobody else bar one person can get it, leaving you to use a turn style, however if you come up with a suitcase or large bag after 10 you will seriously struggle to get into your apartment. Cant stress how poorly I was treated by <snip> and how ignorant they are. I would avoid this place at all costs.

Agreed. An absolutely terrible excuse for student accomodation. <snip> are flat out rude, as are <snip> I wouldn't come back if you paid me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hi guys. If you could refrain from naming any individuals that would be great (legal issues and all that). Thanks :)

Advertisement